Exhaust baffle repair ideas needed

Under Dog

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm stumped...

The previous owner put a 2 into 1 header on the bike, welded on some aftermarket muffler, and then punched out the baffle inside the muffler. I'd like to quiet the bike down a bit, but don't see an easy way to do it. There isn't any way to remove what's left of the baffle as it is welded to the inside of the exhaust (no rivets to drill out, or any thing like that).

My best idea so far is to drill a hole in the muffler and bolt on some sort of lollipop style baffle (or even a large fender washer on an L-backet) just to break up the sound. Would that even accomplish much? Any one have any ideas you've tried or seen out there?

Post some pics of what you have. You may be better to cut off the muffler and putting another one on.

I don't have a camera handy, but I'll get some pics up as soon as I can - just in case anyone wants to see what I ended up doing. A 2" fender washer, some nuts, bolts, and an L-bracket.

It's enough to keep the exhaust from bellowing directly out the muffler without really changing the throaty sound it had. I'll have to get a ride in later this weekend and ask my riding buddies if it truly helps. They HATE riding behind me. Best part: I'm in for less than $2 in small parts from the hardware store... :thumbsup:

Back