Exhaust Collars ?

WT100

Tim
Reaction score
Started back on my "basket case" build today. Tried to reattach my headers and realized i am missing the exhaust collars. Couldn't figure out why tightening down the flanges left the headers swinging loose... I guess i need a color inserted behind the flange?

Any sources for new ones? I could only find them used on eBay.

Just went for the ones on eBay. $16 is not bad just hate to spend it on something so silly. Talk about a part with no real purpose.

Yes it seems so. I'm just surmising since i couldn't find pics of that section of the pipe install. I just figured out that something was missing and found those pictured on eBay.

I would make sure you have these as well they go in the exhaust hole.

Last edited:
Thanks, the gaskets i knew about and expected. But the collars didn't make sense. (still don't to me) At least i think i'm sorted now.

At least until i start the real exhaust over-hall when i do the final build.

Thanks for all your help!

The flanges (the part you need) are pressed in when you tighten the collar (the part with the fins) and hold the ring welded to the header tightly against the exhaust gasket. The headers will not seal without the flanges.

In the pic below, you can see how far the header goes into the head. the collar is almost touching the head and the flanges are pressing against that ring way down in the exhaust outlet. I do not remember exctly, but I think the header is in there 1" to 1.25".

headersb.jpg

Well sure. It makes sense that if you ever had to take the collar off. I mean how else would the collar hold the pipe into the head. So simple really. This is a great site for learning the ways of the xs400.

I was just wondering if it matters which way you put the large ring nut on or just a matter of personal preference. Mine are on the opposite way.

I don't know that it matters at all. I put mine on that way because I always thought the purpose was to allow heat from the exhaust port to be radiated into the air through the fins, so the larger surface area should be in the wind....but I would be surprised if it made any measurable difference which way around they were.

Only works one way. It has a groove to hold the flange in place.

Last edited:
Back