Exhaust Confusion

short1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I bought new headers on ebay, so I pulled out the exhaust that came on the bike when I bought it to see what kind of condition the flanges were in. Realized they are 2 different headers :umm: hmm they have different flanges and are 2 different lengths wtf? I go back and look at pics of the pipes I bought (still waiting for them to show up) and they are yet another style. The listing for what I bought said they are for an 82' xs400 heritage, my bikes an 81', should be good right? Here's some pics, can anyone polease let me know what i'm looking at.

IMG_20160629_123608.jpg

IMG_20160629_123639.jpg

Headers1.jpg

Thank you, that's what i was hoping! Once I was looking at 3 different styles I thought maybe I bought the wrong pipes. For the bolt flanges are they year/make specific?

Last edited:
Looks like aftermarket head pipes in the bottom pic. This is what a 80-82 sohc xs400 stock exhaust looks like. I would stick with this setup if I was you.

DSC03141.JPG DSC03142.JPG DSC03143.JPG

Thank you, that's what i was hoping! Once I was looking at 3 different styles I thought maybe I bought the wrong pipes. For the bolt flanges are they year/make specific?
look like motad or similar pipes. I bet if you take measurements from the ex studs to the inner exhaust you could buy what ever fits

xschris the bottom pic is what I bought, too late! lol I'm aware of the fun I'm going to have tuning for open exhaust, thanks for the concern
though:cheers:
drewpy, so if I pick up some regular xs400 connecting flanges and collars it should be no problem then?
wow all this subject searching is...exhausting:laughing: sorry i couldn't resist!

xschris the bottom pic is what I bought, too late! lol I'm aware of the fun I'm going to have tuning for open exhaust, thanks for the concern
though:cheers:
drewpy, so if I pick up some regular xs400 connecting flanges and collars it should be no problem then?
wow all this subject searching is...exhausting:laughing: sorry i couldn't resist!
don't think so as the originals have a longer end, need to be longer methinks

You wouldn't happen to know of some longer collars maybe from a different bike would ya? I measured the old pipes and the lip is about 1 3/8" from the end on one and about 1/2" on the other, so I guess split collars close to about 1 1/2" would be about what i'm looking for. Just when i thought i was figuring it out...

Last edited:
Had a thought, what if I had some split collars welded to the head pipes where I need them to be? Then I could just use stock flanges

I ended up picking up some 82' split collars and flanges, then got a 1 1/2" coupler from the auto store and cut a 5/8" section off each end and they slid right up to the lip, perfect.20160712_230950.jpg

Back