exhaust gasket help

reed

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have been working on my 82 heritage and I pulled the headers off to paint them.Now I can't seem to get them to seal. I think I need a new gasket. Does anyone know where I could get some of these. I looked on ebay and only found some in Britain. I guess i could buy them but if there is some in the US or something it would be easier. Man these things seem to be elusive for a couple copper rings. I looked at hardware, and plumbing and cant find them. I dont know to much about engines but looking through the threads my guess this engine is sohc?

Last edited:
take the old ones out and anneal them!

copper can be heated cherry red and quenched to restore its qualities. You can do this many times ( and I do) even for copper head gaskets in 2 strokes!

I just bought a set for my 1980 400 SOHC from Bike Bandit.

Make sure the old ones are removed before you install the new ones. After they get compressed and covered in carbon, they are almost invisible. The way I remove them if they are still in the head is to touch the old gasket face on with a sharpened screwdriver and give it a tap with a hammer being carefull to not go thru the gasket and damage the head, but just enough to deform the old gasket. It then pops right out.

that is very interesting about heating them and restoring them iam all about that,but unfortanatly i just found them on partsnmore and ordered ,pricey after adding shipping but better than leaking. no book so i had a heck of a time finding the right part no. aperantly in 82 the heritage special has the old engine.still not sure i orderd the right part. i orderd the 1L9 even though it says 83-84, but a niche i read called for that for a 82 heritage so i hope so.

If your head has the rubber half circular seals,it's a DOHC,if it has removable circular aluminum plugs,it's SOHC. lha

Last edited:
I just ordered two on E-Bay from this guy yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/XS400-XS360-XS25...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5198fddf04

I didn't think that $2.50 each was outrageous, yes I know they are not OEM but I really didn't gamble a lot of money here.

I called four Yamaha dealers here in Ontario. No one had any and they said that the warehouse was showing one and then back ordered for any more.

I wonder if these things getting scarce or is it just a lull in stock? :umm:

Back