Exhaust question

chkm8

XS400 Student
Reaction score
Ok, I searched through the Haynes and the World Wide Interweb to no avail. Besides removing the four stock bolts, how do you get the stock exhaust off? I know I'm missing something...

that should be it. once the nuts are off of the head studs, you should be able to yank off the exhaust. It may be a little tough because there are 2 steel filler pieces in each one and sometimes they get wedged in there. good luck

that should be it. once the nuts are off of the head studs, you should be able to yank off the exhaust. It may be a little tough because there are 2 steel filler pieces in each one and sometimes they get wedged in there. good luck

yeah, well me and my trusty rubber mallet are going to go find out!

ok, so the bolts are off, used the rubber mallet a little, still no luck. are there any spot welds or any other clamps I should be aware of? I should have clarified I'm only removing the mufflers from the headers, not the entire exhaust.

Maybe you've already gotten these but....
There's 2 more support bolts towards the back of the bike. Showed it with an arrow.
And (at least mine) there's a cross over pipe in back, directly under the bike. This is secured with a "p" clamp and a single allen bolt.

Getting them off isn't easy, but getting them back on...PITA.

Good luck
jt

Attachments

• IMG_1255-1.JPG
    IMG_1255-1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 228
Maybe you've already gotten these but....
There's 2 more support bolts towards the back of the bike. Showed it with an arrow.
And (at least mine) there's a cross over pipe in back, directly under the bike. This is secured with a "p" clamp and a single allen bolt.

Getting them off isn't easy, but getting them back on...PITA.

Good luck
jt

I was just going to say that- the mufflers bolt to the passenger peg bracket. Did you remove those?

yep, figured that one out eventually. I saw the p clamp on the crossover but it didn't look like it was mounted to the frame. so there shouldn't be anything else keeping the mufflers on, right? I assumed they were slip-on style mufflers. maybe I need a larger mallet?

If you have a 80 or newer bike the mufflers are welded on to the head pipes.

Yep.. mine were welded.. and there was a p clamp on the crossover.. not sure why.. it was welded too..but that could have been a PO. I removed the whole exhaust system from the headers and cut at the weld.

Back