exhaust sound

miahlaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, new here, new to the yamaha xs400 and street bikes in general. ive ridden dirt bikes my whole life. im kinda worried about the power issue bieng its only a 400 but i love the way they look when they are bobbers. I did a quick search in the forum and good ole google but didnt really come up with much.
Im going to look at a xs400 tomorrow thats been bobbed or however you put it. ive watched youtube video after video and it seems one bike sounds like a little ticky soft exhaust and others have a deeper throatier sound. but no real noticeable difference in the exhuast besides maybe turned down or up ends.
any advice on exhaust options for a deeper more aggressive sounding bike.
is it more a cam issue than a pipe issue?
the one im looking at just seems to have the stock pipes cut off right under the foot peg area. sorry if this is a dumb post. thanks

If you are watching videos with bikes that have the exhaust ending where the foot pegs are then you are probably watching a video of a bike that just doesn't have a muffler on. The stock headers end right there and that's where the muffler clamps on. Some people run straight open pipe headers and I've seen others put some sort of baffle into the header as well. Keep in mind that changes to the exhaust will more than likely mean you will need to rejet the carbs to keep the bike running well. I guess it's just gonna have to be up to you what kind of sound you want.

If you want a good running bike you will want mufflers of some kind.

Thanks guys. If I do purchase this bike I will post pics later and maybe get some help and tips. yeah I understand that some just have the header. I guess that's my question, what muffler or baffle or whatever would any of you recommend for the deepest sound you can get out of a 400. I'm new to these and it seems like most stuff is fab work. are there websites that deal in custom parts for the 400 and 650's?

I definitely do not like the look of the cone mufflers....no thanks on those. I'm thinking i may just custum make something..

I wanted deep, loud pipes. I gambled and bought these from Dime City Cycles.

They turned out to be as deep and loud as I could have hoped. They were also about the cheapest pipes I could find, look pretty close to stock (at least from the side) and shipping from DCC was cheap. The ends are removable so you can add baffles or glass packing if they are too loud.

They are pretty open so I am re-jetting.

You can see them on my bike here

I recorded a couple videos when I first started it but we were using a shitty little point and shoot camera which didn't capture the sound as well as it could have. The pipes sound much better in person.

I recommend them.

Those sound great!! A long wide pipe will give you more of a rumble than a pop that a short skinny pipe will.

I wanted deep, loud pipes. I gambled and bought these from Dime City Cycles.

They turned out to be as deep and loud as I could have hoped. They were also about the cheapest pipes I could find, look pretty close to stock (at least from the side) and shipping from DCC was cheap. The ends are removable so you can add baffles or glass packing if they are too loud.

They are pretty open so I am re-jetting.

You can see them on my bike here

I recorded a couple videos when I first started it but we were using a shitty little point and shoot camera which didn't capture the sound as well as it could have. The pipes sound much better in person.

I recommend them.

nice, but i do not dig the cone exhaust. the bike ended up sounding really good...title issues holding it back now.

Emgo shortys are probably going to be best bet for the loudest mufflers, pretty cheap at 60 bucks a pair from low brow customs, theres a video on youtube of an xs400 running these.

And for parts check out sites like mikesxs, dimecity, and go to cmsnl.com and partzilla for oem parts. Mikesxs has a good selection but you can sometimes find oem quality parts for cheaper elsewhere

Back