Feild Coil and startor Re-Wire and Fail.

TimmyT

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
so I have done much scouring of electrical forums problems and found good info to build confidence to tackle a stator and field coil re-wire, rebuild solenoid, new left side gasket and inspection of left side components. Common issues coming up for most being the battery, voltage regulator and the stator and field coil loom wires. Also bought RR/38 to replace old vr and rectifier. Before all of this I could get lights working after re-wire not getting any indicator lights to work and also not getting 12v to green wire of field coil. The black/brown wire does show 12v though. I can not get the 4ohm resistance between black and green wires either. I am guessing my 14gauge wire is too thick and got pinched during assembly. I don't think there is a way to install stator or field coil wrong or backwards as far as I can tell. Stator wires all in spec, black/brown (same wire but color changes at the clip) are reading full battery voltage. Also noticed I reversed the connections under the sprocket cover on the blue neutral indicator light (that goes to kill switch) and the yellow oil pressure light. Fuses are all fine and it seems I am getting somewhere. The new rr38 came with male connector where as the old one was female, so I swapped out thinking that would fix the issue, but with a shared ground now the plastic connector for the vr clip has a blank where the black wire used to be.

Should I leave it as a blank or wire it to a body ground or direct to battery negative terminal? I'm not upset about having to do the re-wire again as I will get to inspect how well my new temp gasket worked out, and what I did wrong in the first place. I don't see the field coil failing itself but more likely the loom, but is it possible to re-wind the coil in any event? Its a step back but at least I'm getting somewhere. Also I did try to jumper the green wire with vr on and off, with no result... field coil wires must be pinched under the left side cover or even between stator and side cover during assembly.

Hopefully these mishaps didn't do any harm to anything else, although Im sure it will be ok as I have no magnetism at the moment. No magnet = no electricity... ok and I went and broke something that may have not required an immediate fix. way to go!

Last edited:
UPDATE

Opened it up again, and sure enough when tightening the stator back into the side case the solder joints pulled apart on me. New solder job and more careful and mindful assembly this time around and Im getting 4 ohm readings required. Also ordered another voltage regulator. So now I have one of each kind, the old adjustable one, solid state voltage regulator, and a combo Regulator rectifier. One of these bastards is bound to work.

Hey TimmyT,

Is there any update to the re-wire. I am looking for a new stator for my SOHC which apparently you can't find for less than $100. On top of that, you can never actually gaurantee it will work so I figured I might take a shot at this re-wire thing.

I have some questions. What gauge wire did you use and how long ofa spool do I need? Did you find any good youtube vids? I'm having trouble finding one in english.lol Thanks

you can't find for less than $100. On top of that, you can never actually gaurantee it will work so I figured I might take a shot at this re-wire thing.
Don't spend $$ you don't need to. The stator is sound. only thing I did on this re-do, is to coat the wires inside the stator, with spay enamel, or something, to make the connections more liquid proof.

as my heat shrink didn't create a oil tight seal, since I haven't gotten the bike running yet since I did that, I can prove it works. but I have not had time to test things yet. (1 month away from home) So the wire in that area was stiffer than the rest of the wires.

Hey TimmyT,

Is there any update to the re-wire. I am looking for a new stator for my SOHC which apparently you can't find for less than $100. On top of that, you can never actually gaurantee it will work so I figured I might take a shot at this re-wire thing.

I have some questions. What gauge wire did you use and how long ofa spool do I need? Did you find any good youtube vids? I'm having trouble finding one in english.lol Thanks

Winding a stator is not as easy as it sounds. I used to wind my own transformers for my guitar amps, and it really is an exact science. Not saying you cant, but after the time and money you will put into rewiring it, you'll wish you would have just payed the $100 for a used stator. Or, since you are willing to put the time into it anyway, just go permanent magnet.

Pm is is out of the question since I have e start and I would like to keep it. i also don't have the equipment to cut the back plate with any precision.

The stator probably is sound as there are no signs of overheating. A little more guidance as to the specifics of what your talking about with the spray enamel would be greatly appreciated. maybe some pics?

Any pics from me will have to be next weekend. I get home earliest Friday. and usually the wife is missing me! :hump: :bed: you know what I mean :D

There will be no extra pics out side of the motorcycle too

Ohh, i suppose to answer the question, its just a rattle can, and coat the connections after they are crimped. then coat it. I am sure if I would have done the job as good as Drewpies re-wire, my heat shrink would have been tighter. and prevent the oil from getting into there. So now I have already coated the wires, with a rattle can of spray enamel, or something simaliar. That is one of the things you might not have picked up on, that one reason to use sandpaper on wires that your going to crimp or solder. is that there is a fine coating of enamel or something on the wires. so a slight scuff helps. then just a coat or two of spray enamel. I am sure clear coat is just as non electric transmitting than anything else is.

Just got in touch with Custom Rewind. they only want $90 for a full re-wire. I can't beat that kind of price. That's cheaper than the used ones online with a guarantee it will work. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I will update when it's done.

If you chat with that rewinder, ask him if my suggestion would have work? I am interested in knowing, than guessing.

Just got in touch with Custom Rewind. they only want $90 for a full re-wire. I can't beat that kind of price. That's cheaper than the used ones online with a guarantee it will work. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I will update when it's done.

That's a good price for all that work on that type of stator. I've never seen anyone rewire that style before, please take pics when you get it back, I love looking at this kind of stuff :thumbsup:

Back