Fellow maxim owners.. lets talk gears??

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm debating whether or not to try and order some new sprockets for the bike. In 5th gear on the highway going 65mph I am right near 6500rpm's. If I give it half throttle or so it picks up and moves nicely to 70ish. 70ish on requires over half throttle but it still moves up to 80 or 85 before it starts to accelerate real slow..

So I'm hesitant on ordering new sprockets at the moment. I was hoping some other people here have changed from stock gearing, and if so what the results were?

Thanks!

So I'm debating whether or not to try and order some new sprockets for the bike... I was hoping some other people here have changed from stock gearing, and if so what the results were?Thanks!
Hi Dan. If you can wait until mid-this week, I should be able to give you some definitive answers.
I notice you were on my thread once and, if you've read everyone's input on it, it would seem that the only option for a 5-spd DOHC Maxim is to go up to 17T on the front. We already are down to 35T on the rear thanks to Yamaha. (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592)

Back