Fender...yay or nay?

1lowdiesel

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm sitting in the garage thinking about mounting the fender up and I can't decided if I like it or not. So...

Also how important is the bar that goes from the front of the swingarm to the swingarm hub?

511fd463.jpg

04209630.jpg

9aa22bb0.jpg

That bar is necessary for the rear brake to work, otherwise it'll just spin with the rest of the wheel and break the control for it. That fender doesn't look like it's going to protect you from anything, and there isn't enough clearance between it and the wheel (assuming it's mounted on the frame) so it'll just shred that tire on the first bump you hit. I say chuck it or make a good one that you think looks sweet. :thumbsup:

Does it need to be as long as it is?

The fender is more for balancing the look of the bike. I really did it more for the protection to my electronics. Also it's mounted to the swingarm do it's good.

e2a13aff.jpg

1def9382.jpg

Now that I can see how you put it in, it looks pretty sweet!
I don't know how much you should change that bar, since it needs clearance for when the shocks are compressed. You could change the drum stabilizer so that it's mounted directly to the swingarm, but then you'll need to change how the brake is activated so that it won't be applied every time you hit a bump. Maybe if you converted it to a rotor you wouldn't need it?

Back