Finished Painting

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've just finished painting. Unfortunately I didn't take any before pictures. Stupid me. The original paint wasn't in bad shap just ugly and faded. It was a bad pale blue with a huge pink racing strip all down the side of the bike on both sides. It was just terrible. So i sanded the paint and painted right on top of it. Used 3 coats of duplicolor metallic red and 4 coats of duplicolor clear coat. (Found at Autozone) Both acrylic enamels. I used only 2 cans of each paint. Though 3 cans would be better cause I literately ran out of paint on the last spray. I haven't buffed or polished the clear coat yet gonna wait a week to be sure its nice and hard. I should have filled the few dents and nicks on the tank but they are all on the bottom and are not noticeable at all. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• Side1.jpg
    Side1.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 364
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 322
looks good. especially for a rattle can. i used the gloss you did for my 3/4 helmet. lays down pretty easily and looks good. i swear by it from now on. until i get a gun. ;)

I was surprised how easy the gloss was too. Wasn't nearly as runny as some other brands. And it dried nice and clear not foggy. I was wondering if i could use that on my helmet as well as my 3/4 is an old man tan color. It's all they had in my size. What paint did you use for the helmet? Any tips?

Wow, that looks good. That was a spray paint??? Can you tell me what you did to paint it and have it turn out so nicely? or possibly point me in the direction of a resource that can guide me? I would like to paint my tank and plastics because the paint is faded and cracked but I know absolutely nothing about painting and don't want to pay someone $300 to paint it.

Here is the guid I followed but I didn't do nearly as thourogh of a job as they describe but it's a complete guide. Note the paint he mentions isn't realy in circulation anymore so use an acrylic enamel instead of acrylic lacqer. I had a good layer of paint so I used 400 grit sand paper to just roughen the existing coat and then spray painted over it. A layer of good paint is the best kind of primer so I didn't need to to any of that. Don't use a belt or circular sander as it will leave very deep gouges a vibrating hand sander or just you hand is good. The I just spray painted on the sanded paint coat and poof.

here is a link to the guid I used.

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

When I lived in Dallas,Tx,I had a couple of friends that were custom painters.When it came time to paint a bike I had[back then I had a lot of them]I'd just give them the tank and sidecovers,and when a car came in for some special paint job,they'd paint it while the car was being painted. I have a couple of guns and compressor,but no booth.Maybe one day. The bike looks pretty good. lha

Back