first 4002f ride...impressions.

CDNTX650

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMAG0342.jpg

Ill snap a better pic if i can ride tomorrow...been pretty cold.

really to bad the tank is rotten (lined with red kote atleast), the rest of the bike was like new. All i did was refoam the filters, clean the carbs, new intake rubbers, tires, a mini speedometer, fork gaiters, and a new condenser i had laying around. New fusebox, and used a relay to power the coils.

Ordered some military surplus canvas bags for it and some smaller ammo pouches for tools and whatnot as i plan to use it for gravel road/dirt road exploring. Also looking for some aluminum to make a skid plate. need smaller signals too.

Initial impressions? Man is it light compared to the 650...feels easily like 50 pounds. the 180* crank sounds pretty wussy compared to the 360* of my 650. But the lack of tiring vibration at highway speeds is nice....so is the proper gear box spacing. Seems like a very sorted bike compared the 650, which was their first 4 stroke....so no suprise there i guess. pretty impressed with it!

I didnt even do my normal new to me bike maint like i always do. Went to change fork oil and it was still fresh. Even the grease in the top race is fresh.

A stock 79 2-f (dry)weighs 350lbs where most stock 650's are around 475:doh:

Back