first bike battery issues

crazyskull92

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im very new to the forum and working on motorcycles in general.
the whole backstory is sometime last year I bought my first bike, an 81 yamaha xs400 which I plan to build into a brat/tracker. Due to money issues it sat for awhile through winter but it was covered. I was told the only problem was it needed a*battery, so thanks to a new job I was able to start putting money into it. I went out and bought new spark plugs, new*battery*and changed the oil, however after much anticipation it wouldn't fire up! Under closer examination I assume its not getting juice, i was told when the key is turned and its in neutral the yellow light should light up and I should also be able to use signals, break light, etc.. I know it's a pretty broad question but would anyone know by chance what's wrong with it? Its hooked up correctly and everything but no juice. If pictures are needed I can provide whatever is needed, also ive never heard of a*battery*exhaust tube and im not 100% sure where it goes but I assume its just as it sounds and doesn't nessicarily has a home as long as its not in the way of any thing.
help of any kind would be greatly appreciated!*

I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors, im using a smart phone cause I do not currently have access to a computer

Thanks!*
-CS

Is the bike at least turning over?If so check for spark,clean and tune the carbs.Also have tried either in the carbs that might be what its needs to get it going.

It wont even turn over, no lights come on when I turn the key, no neutral light, nothing. Brand new battery, spark plugs, all that. May be a dumb question but where and what are carbs?? Im assuming its an electrical problem but I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that

Ok 1st of all carburators are devices that deliver fuel to the bikes engine.They are found under neither gas tank and on the rear side of the engine.
With the new battery I assume you poured the acid into each cell and then put it on the charger for 2-3 hours?
As far as your other electrical issues Its very similar struggle that I had to deal with last year.
Heres what I would suggest to do first,find your fuse box its underneath rear part of the seat and check them.They will be small little glass tubes with metal ends on them with a metal filament inside of them.
Check all your connections to every electrical little black box attached to your wiring harness.
Take apart the estart switch and make sure theres no broken wires inside of it.There will be two red and white striped wires and along with blue wire that's soilderd onto the back of the button.
Now before your take apart the controls losen the bolts that hold them on the handle bars make sure theres no corrosion and they are making good clean contact with metal surface of the handle bars.If that's good tighten them back down.
Hopefully its something simple like as mentioned above.The reason for this is your controls are grounded through the handle bars.
I`ll stop here so I don't over load you with a bunch of things that aren't to complex or confushion.
After checking all these things report back and tell me you got your bike to turn over and start.:D
If it doesn't I`ll give you another checklist of things to look for.

Last edited:
First: thanks so much for the help!! Being someone who's really trying to get into bikes but has little to no knowledge this is a godsend! Second: I feel really stupid and am a bit ashamed tk admit, I didnt add the electrolyte into the battery :doh: I assumed it was already in there and the bottle provided was for later use... so firstly ill give that a try haha. Im currently at work but as soon as I get home ill try that. Lets assume thats the problem, would that explain no lights or any electronics working? Also I do not believe I have a charger but I might! Do I NEED to have one to get it to work? And I did check the fuses, however it isnt a box, they are in a black plastic cylinder with wires on either side but they all look clean and brand new so lets hope its cause my dumbass didnt add the acid

Yes you definitely need a charger to get the battery charged.Now that we found the battery issue Im almost positive the that your bike should turn over,start and run.You will need to set your petcock on prime and may need some either/starting fluid to get it to fire up.Also don't forget to use the choke its a little lever on the side of the carburetor.Try half way out first if that doesn't work pull the choke all the way out.Best of luck.

If you read the instructions that come with your battery, you would know that theacid needs to be put in the battery. The instructions also specify a length of time to let the axid soak into the plates. After this soaking you then need to charge the batterey with the correct charger. As in a 1 to 2 amp charger desinged for small batteries.
Wal Mart sells one for around $20. It even has a picture of a motorcycle on the box.
Usually around 16+ hours.
Not following these instructions ruins the battery.
Leo

ITS ALLIIIIIIVVVVEEE!!! thanks so much for your help scorpio!!! It took a couple trys at the e start and giving it a little gas but it started up and idled like it should :D now to build the seat and paint job haha! Thanks again man!!!!

Back