First Bike Build.

Soon2be

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Whats going on crew?
Names Mykle from Oklahoma.
Just picked up my first build a 1980 xs400 and stoked to have something to work on. In the past Ive built some cars turbo'd honda's and what not but have recently caught the bike building bug. I really enjoy the site and have been lurking for a while and finally decided to post up a Intro.
Nothing real special trying to keep it fairly simple for my first build as I have NO idea what I've gotten myself into.
On to the bike.
Had been looking for a xs650 for a while but was having trouble locating one in the area with a title so I had posted a WTB frame ad on CL and got a call one day from a guy who was looking for parts for his 400 and was curious if I had found anything. After talking for a little bit I ended up making an offer on his 400 that was titled and ended up making the trip down that next weekend to pick it up. Got it for what i think was a pretty good deal.
Enjoy,
403265_357946260896601_100000436906432_1269529_2035997135_n.jpg

425822_370285702995990_100000436906432_1303297_1026614020_n.jpg

Frame was already stretched 4" and dropped 2" so the hard work is done. Oil filter cover bolt is seized and the guy I bought it from had already started to grind the head of the bolt off. Haven't had any luck getting it out yet. Im guessing my best option would be to continue to try and grind it all the way off and pull the cover off and then throw some vice grips on it????
Motor kicks and feels like decent compression, so I really just need to get the filter off change oil and wire her up and see what happeneds. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about these things so I am just trying to learn as I go.
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the welcomes and glad to see another person from OK. Once I get it up and running well have to get a ride together. I don't think there are to many of us around here.

Thanks for the welcomes and glad to see another person from OK. Once I get it up and running well have to get a ride together. I don't think there are to many of us around here.

one in Tulsa I know, but yeah, few and far between. I've got some work to do myself so it may be a while before a ride:(

welcomes, try welding a large nut on the offending bolt. the heat will break the steel/alloy bond and you'll have a nice nut to which you can get a decent socket on.

welcomes, try welding a large nut on the offending bolt. the heat will break the steel/alloy bond and you'll have a nice nut to which you can get a decent socket on.

Awesome. Will do. Thanks for the advice. You would recommend this over grinding it the rest of the way down and trying to pull the cover off?

I had exactly the same problem with the soft oil filter bolt. My solution was to hammer on an undersized non-metric socket. Suited me as it was quick, easy & involved a hammer.

Back