First Build! 1980 xs400 special (question, progress, and help)

Nicolaus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My father has given me a 1980 Yamaha xs400 recently which has sat in our barn for the past 2 years. He had bought it for about $400 and it did not run. We do not know if anything is wrong with it nor did the seller. (well that is what he said anyways) I am a full time Accounting student and I still live at home. I have ridden motorcycles for 3 or 4 years and recently have fallen in LOVE with cafe racers. So, here I am...trying to figure out what the hell I am trying to do. I will attach pictures as soon as I get them on my computer, but as of now. I will post question as I need and hope people will assist me in any way they can! Money is not really an issue with my build and I am wanting to create something unique, and CLEAN. Thanks ahead of time. I hope to hear from you all!

Last edited:
I made a photobucket account to post all of my pictures. http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Nico_Savu/library/?sort=3&page=1
Here is a picture of her before I started
null_zps5d8cfe11.jpg

Here is one a little while in..
null_zps1abc6ed0.jpg

Will take a few more pictures of todays progress in a little while.

Stuff I did today! :)
null_zps6d74d265.jpg

null_zps4e249caf.jpg

Here is inside of where I took the chain off.
null_zps2f2d1225.jpg

Is it normally full of gunk goo and dirt/mud?

Now that I have the engine pulled off where should I start with it?

Your push-rod seal is probably leaky; you won't know for sure until you clean ALL of the oil off. Run the bike after that for a bit and see where it is coming from. Oil can run down the push-rod, drip on to the chain, and get flung all over the place.

Most cruisers use 1" handle bars. Most Japanese motorcycles use 7/8" handle bars. When a small bike is converted to 1" handle bars the setup is usually referred to as "over sized."

So, no, you need 7/8" handle bars.

On this particular motorcycle there aren't really any pros to using clubmans or clipons other than looks. Well placed rear set foot pegs will help improve things, but I also think the gas tank is way too small/low and offers no support. Without any support (unless you're very, very fit) you'll tend to put much more weight on the handle bars when you're leaned far forward; this actually hurts steering and can cause wobbles.

If you still want to go this route choose your setup carefully; I had issues with clearance between the clip-ons and the gas tank. Certain designs are more friendly than others.

the coffin style tank or whatever the style is, was used on number of yamaha bikes during the mid and late 70s

I had the same problem with all the goop and shit under the side cover. I cleaned it all off and no leaks so far that I can tell, but bc is right more than likely a a pushrod seal. Clean it up and ride it for a bit and see if it is leaking.

I have a tank like that, they are oem for 1977. Interesting point about the tank being there to support, never thought about that before.

I think that you're doing the right thing Nicolaus, best way to learn is to tear into it! I've mucked up a tonne of stuff, but it just adds to the experience

I love the drag bar/clipon look as well.

I have a tank like that, they are oem for 1977. Interesting point about the tank being there to support, never thought about that before.

I think that you're doing the right thing Nicolaus, best way to learn is to tear into it! I've mucked up a tonne of stuff, but it just adds to the experience

I love the drag bar/clipon look as well.

What do you mean about the tank being there to support?!

What do you mean about the tank being there to support?!

Not to hug you and tell you everything will be alright, but rather to support your upper body/arms when riding so that one can remove weight from the handle bars with an aggressive setup (clip-ons, clubmans, etc). Modern sport bikes have those giant high arching gas tanks for a reason!

Check out the xs 400 by spin cycle industries. That one is my favorite.

Back