First Build! 1980 xs400 special (question, progress, and help)

Okay guys! Progress for tonight. Slowly but surely moving along. Started with taking apart the engine (I am using the bike manual to do it right, but to be honest it looks nothing like the engine in the pictures)
null_zpsc5ea3ca3.jpg

null_zpsf0894793.jpg

How does it look inside guys? Oh btw one question I did have is it looks like someone has messed with the engine before. There appears to be some sort of adhesive in the seal of the case. Is that normal? Its blue and looks hideous.. Also Its missing A LOT of screws and bolts...is there a kit online where I can buy all new bolts and screws for the engine?!

Next up...the potential problem..
null_zpse52ac343.jpg

if you look very closely....very closely..there is a little ridge in the middle and on top of that ridge there appears to be a crack? :'( I hope its not but...what do you think? and if it is what do I do?

Not to hug you and tell you everything will be alright, but rather to support your upper body/arms when riding so that one can remove weight from the handle bars with an aggressive setup (clip-ons, clubmans, etc). Modern sport bikes have those giant high arching gas tanks for a reason!

:laugh: I also always get emotional when riding and need to hold my XS close

Nicolaus, isn't the blue stuff just some liquid gasket? It's inferior to real gaskets, but often used when those aren't available. It does look like the PO used a bit too much of it, which is a common mistake. It's like glue, and if you use too much it squeezes out the sides (and also into your engine, bad bad bad.

If you can't find screws and bolts in a kit just go down to your local hardware store. Get the cheap kinds though, not the stainless steel stuff cause that will easily destroy threads in your engine.

Nicolaus, isn't the blue stuff just some liquid gasket? It's inferior to real gaskets, but often used when those aren't available. It does look like the PO used a bit too much of it, which is a common mistake. It's like glue, and if you use too much it squeezes out the sides (and also into your engine, bad bad bad.

If you can't find screws and bolts in a kit just go down to your local hardware store. Get the cheap kinds though, not the stainless steel stuff cause that will easily destroy threads in your engine.

Thanks for the help! How should i clean the parts of the engine? To make it look all nice and new? (over the sink? or...)

I think the things that look like cracks are just imperfections from the casting of the metal.
To clean the parts i removed from my bike, i first used high pressure hose, then hot water and dish washing detergent, then steam clean, then kerosene. I also had stuff professionally vapour cleaned that came back looking new.

As I rebuild the engine as this is my first time, what should I definitely replace? What should I be looking for that may be a sign that something wrong or amiss. Also where can I get a bolt kit for the entire engine? The PO had messed with the engine and a lot of bolts and screws are missing. Thanks
Nicolaus

Back