First Motorcycle.

pgerber7

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals I'm Phillip and I'm new here and to the bike world. Sunday the 6th I bought my first motorcycle!!! It's a 1980 XS400 Special II with 7400 on the odometer! I picked it up off a long time friend for $500. It needed brakes, grips, the carburetors gone through and some tlc.

Here's when I bought it

After a good wash and some light polishing

Today I Plasti Dipped the tank and the side covers. I think I rushed it a little too much it has a more texture than I was hoping for but its not like it can't be removed!

Hey Phillip, Welcome. The bike already looks a lot better than when you picked it up!

I saw the remove before flight tag and thought you might live in VA. I scrolled up to see your location and bam, I was right. VA is the only place I've seen them, but I would assume they popular in other parts of the country near Air Force bases. :shrug:

Welcome Phillip.
Your wash and light polish made a huge difference. Nice work.
I like the look of the plasti-dipped tank and side covers. I did the badges on my truck and it holds up well.
The plain seat is cool as well.

Welcome to both worlds xs400 site and yamahas.You picked a great starter bike that's for the most part fairly easy to work on if you have the mechanical apptitude.As for your plastic dipping I say spray on a nice layer of clear coat and call it good.I think it should turn out well.So other than paint what other things did/do you need to do to the bike.Does she run good and are you going to keep it stock or modify for a custom look?Make sure and check out the thread for first time motorcycle check list.Good luck and welcome to the newest passion of your life.

Hey Phillip, Welcome. The bike already looks a lot better than when you picked it up!

I saw the remove before flight tag and thought you might live in VA. I scrolled up to see your location and bam, I was right. VA is the only place I've seen them, but I would assume they popular in other parts of the country near Air Force bases. :shrug:
Honestly I'm not sure where I saw that the first time I just thought it was cool, and I wanted something thin so it wasn't a hassle in my pocket. As far as Air Force the closest I come to that is my Cousin but he lives in NorCal.

Welcome to both worlds xs400 site and Yamaha's.You picked a great starter bike that's for the most part fairly easy to work on if you have the mechanical aptitude. As for your plastic dipping I say spray on a nice layer of clear coat and call it good.I think it should turn out well.So other than paint what other things did/do you need to do to the bike.Does she run good and are you going to keep it stock or modify for a custom look?Make sure and check out the thread for first time motorcycle check list.Good luck and welcome to the newest passion of your life.

I would like to do a cafe style bike. I don't really want to hack up the frame too much. But defiantly a seat change and tail light change for sure. To get the bike running all I did was change the oil and put fresh gas in it. I've been riding it for the last 3 days with out any major issues! The carbs need to be fine tuned for sure but other than that it starts right up and runs great!:thumbsup:

Back