First XS400 -- is my frame straight?

Michielk

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've messed with a few mopes growing up and always dreamed about building a custom bike for myself. Yesterday I picked up an 1979 Yamaha XS400 that is a bit beat up.

I've started removing some parts as and noticed that the rear wheel does't seem to be in the center of the bike, which seemed odd to me. From the exhausts it's obvious the bike has seen the pavement a few times, the exhaust mounts are definately bent as the back break lever hits the exhaust. But since I did plan on doing a custom bike, I didn't care much.

But now I'm worried that the frame might be messed up... I've made some pictures, can anybody tell if this is normal or if there is something wrong? And if so.. how bad is it? Could I just (safely) ride it like this, or does it need to be fixed? And can it be fixed?

Thanks,
Michiel (Belgium, Europe)

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/w0OrN

Can't really tell much from your posted pics. You're probably alright, first thing to check is the alignment on that rear wheel, it could just be out a bit. Use the manual posted on this site, it tells how to check it. I check mine with a laser to be exact, but there are other methods. If you can't get it right doing that, then I'd look into the swingarm being bent (the swingarm is easy to mess up in a drop). The frame is hard to bend unless it is chopped up, or in a REALLY bad wreck.

Back