Fixing my 'new' 1981 xs400

Are the connectors used for our bikes a matter of preference? With rewiring my bike soon I would like to know what of kind connectors I should use. I was thinking ring connectors for some things, but how would I hold these together? With a screw and bolt?

I was kind of leaning more towards bullet type connectors though, and putting heat shrink around them. I was wanting to thread all the wires together to give it a neat look. Or should I go with pin connectors like these: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/conn_eps_2.jpg

Opinions based on experience anyone? I imagine if I connect them with just bullet connectors and don't use those pin connectors it'd be easier to replace wires/accessories/connections...

Also, anyone who's used AWG wiring, the bike should call for 16 and 14 gauge, right? 14 gauge would be the main power wire (that can reach up to 21 amps or so?) and the 17 gauge would be the standard 11 amp.

You are looking too much into it :)
On these bikes you could get away with much thinner wire than calculations will call for, and still be 100% ok. Nothing will burn up, unless you use something like tin foil. You just don't want to go small on lines that see big current draws, like the main battery pos and neg, the starter supply, ignition switch, etc.

A lot of it depends on how you lay out your wiring as well. Some spots you need to look at like a tree. The trunk needs to be big but the branches can be small. Are you going to use relays in spots? (not the stock ones, but actual automotive relays?) The reason I ask is because if you use relays, the whole point of them is to be able to use tiny wire for the switches and big wire to directly supply components like the ignition or headlights. If you are going with a stock type wiring job, you really don't need big wire since the circuit is going through tiny switches anyway, and no matter how big you go those switches will be the weakest link.

Just take a look at the stock wiring, it will give you an idea of how big or small you can go.

I can't 'just look at stock wiring' only source of wiring I've found is drewpys rewire, but he uses a different wire standard. I'm trying to convert the wires he used to awg but haven't messed with wiring in ages. And I've never done vehicle wiring. So I really don't know how a stock vehicle SHOULD be wired, seeing as the original wiring was bypassing many vital components.

You'll be fine with 18 and 14. Use 8 for the main ground and battery, as well as to the starter if applicable.

Okay, thanks. I may use 16 instead of 18 though, found a place where I can buy 11 colors of 16 for like 20$ or something.

Are the connectors used for our bikes a matter of preference? With rewiring my bike soon I would like to know what of kind connectors I should use. I was thinking ring connectors for some things, but how would I hold these together? With a screw and bolt?

I might lean towards this type:

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Weatherpack-Connectors/1354645/10002/-1

They are used in many automotive applications, don't forget to get the correct crimping tool, should be shown on that page too!

Or if you want a top of the line connector:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/239-PCS-DEUTSCH-DT-CONNECTORS-KIT-Included-REMOVAL-TOOLS-Fast-Shipping-from-USA/331604551740?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D8d3013966d434e4cb9795d8e0005c8a8%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D16%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D331583506374

The crimpers for those run a wide price range and as they say you get what you pay for. That said the ones going for $25-35 with the red handles do a fair job. Now if you were doing wiring full time the $200 ones would be the ones you might want. These last ones are used on large earth moving equipment from Cat, oh and Harleys too!

Don't use the home depot wire for your automotive applications. Trust me. I wouldn't use that wire in the ebay link either, it's meant for component wiring.

You need to use GXL, SXL, or TXL wire for automotive use, especially something like a motorcycle that will see weather constantly.

Don't use the home depot wire for your automotive applications. Trust me. I wouldn't use that wire in the ebay link either, it's meant for component wiring.

You need to use GXL or TXL wire for automotive use, especially something like a motorcycle that will see weather constantly.

Okay thanks for letting me know. :)

Back