Flasher issues

azelhof

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so like the other I need to introduce myself.
My name is Dave and I own a xs400 1982sj heritage special.
Now the problem, my flasher work but they don't blink..so I change the relay for a Tridon EP35, but nothing work. Flashers dont light and dont blink. Do you know what it could be? Wrong relay?
Let me know and sorry for my english, I speak french usually.
Thanks

I don't know just what the Tridon EP35 is, but if it has three terminals it won't work. Try a two terminal flasher. Plug it into your flasher socket so it hooks into the grown and brown/white wires. This will disable the self canceler, just remember to turn them off.
Leo

Yes, that has three terminals. You need a two terminal flasher. With stock size 27 watt bulbs most any two terminal flasher should work. If you have LED bulbs you will need to get an LED compatible flasher.
Leo

The stock 3 pin flasher uses one of the pins in conjunction with the flasher auto-canceller unit. The auto-canceller won't work with aftermarket relays but if you remove the auto-canceller then one of the three pins goes nowhere.

If you're familiar with electronics and can understand the wiring diagram you could probably rewire the flasher relay connector to make it work with the 3 pin relay.

So if I understand well what you said, I need a 2 pins relay and everything should be fine? Without modified anything else.

I'll try this tonight, I let you know guys. And btw my brake light was working and now nothing, for no reason, do you know what it could be?
Its an aftermarket tail light..

I would check the bulb, it might have blown, next the ground. On the flasher it maybe possible to make the three prong work, I don't know. I know a two prong one will.
Leo

Clean the wiring harness connectors. They get tarnished and corroded. Could be as easy as removing and reinserting them a few times.

If that doesn't work you might need to remove and clean the handlebar controls. They also get corroded and spiders like to die inside.

Electronics are finicky. At the relay there's only one circuit, no left or right, so it shouldn't make any difference.
The old relay also wasn't working properly. It's possible that one of the two circuits has a high resistance connection or short that worked when the old relay dumped full power through it. The replacement relay that actually works is trying to control current. With the fault still in place it might not be able to overcome the high resistance or handle a higher current, so you get erratic behavior on that circuit.

Just speculation.
Check the connections, check the wiring harness for any obvious damage.
Corroded and tarnished connections are very common on 30+ year old bikes.

Back