Fork interchangeably

Kr lip

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello. I got a 77 X's 360 my front forks are shot. The stanchions are badly pitted I know they are 33 mm. My question is I found some off a 81 X's 400 special I think they should work it's still a sohc the dohc motors got the 35 mm forks also would the length be the same or were they different. Sorry if it's been asked before I did try to search thanks again

I changed the tubes on my 77 400 and used some form an 80, they were the same length. I remember from reading on here some time ago that the tubes from the SOHC motor bikes do vary in length, but not a lot. When I got mine the previous owner had lowered the front by sliding the tubes about 1 inch up past the top triple tree clamps. I left it that way until I was forced to change, that's when I realized it affected highway handling. There is someone on here who knows but they may not have read your post. I realize this probably isn't any help!

Well I guess I'll find out. In going to pull the trigger on them and hope for the best the part number's are different if I have to use the whole fork so be it. I was planning on just using the stanchions and the 360 lower

Back