Frame loop & seat inspiration

Vigo The Carpathian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, about to lay into a 1980 XS400 special. Was hoping to get an idea of how my seat plans might pan out from those of you who have done something similar.

I'm looking to do an upturned frame loop similar to the setups on these CB's:

dcc-bratlcc-r-vintage-brat-style-chassis-seat-parts-ribbed-black-leather-wrapped-dcc-originals-large-cc-seat-25.jpg

vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-brat-chassis-seat-parts-dcc-originals-diy-steel-top-loop-kit-dcc-toploop-1_1.jpg

The clean frame line along with the low seat profile appeals to what I'm looking for visually.

However, while the CB frame tubing seem to continue a set width apart through most of the seat and both sides are a bit closer together, I've noticed the XS400 frame is a little wider and seems to widen more still around the rear suspension mounts.

Has anyone here gone with a similar style seat and if so, is the difference in frame negligible? I would love to see some in progress pictures as well as what you all have done in the way of a seat pan.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of lurking on here in the upcoming months.

PS- If anyone has any decent info about modifying the tank mounts to fit an early XS750 tank, that'd also be lovely.

I've seen a lot of people make that style seat out of a skateboard. I don't know the width of one, compared to your frame, but it seems to be a popular base for the brat seats.

Love that last photo in black and white. It says dunlop on those sidewalls but they are clearly Kenda Challengers :laugh:

Make sure your inspiration is real; it looks like that one at least has been photoshopped.

Do you have access to a tubing bender? If not, track down fabrication shops, even muffler shops and ask them to bend you a hoop, then bend each part where it will be welded to the frame. Or, you can forego the hoop entirely and use your pan to create the upward bend for your seat. As you can see here, no seat hoop, it's just chopped and the seat itself has a subtle upturn.

Deus_Yamaha_SR400_GRIEVOUS_ANGEL_caferacerspecial.blogspot.com+(5).jpg

Hi,

I made my loop out of three pieces as I wanted it to be angled upwards and to keep the curves flowing without any straight section, then had them welded together, I'm really happy with the result.

Attachments

• P7200361.jpg
    P7200361.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 961
  • P7200363.jpg
    P7200363.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 750
  • P7200364.jpg
    P7200364.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,824
Hope no one minds my dead thread revival, but is it still structurally aound if the xs does not have a loop on there adter it has been cut? I have had my bike for around two years and one of the PO's chopped that off prior to my owning it. In any case i have been riding since owning it without any real concern. So now i am curious.

Back