Front brake cable help!

t0mmy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm after a front brake cable asap and struggling to find one!

Anyone have any leads as to where I could grab one online?

Many thanks!

im in this predicament now. and the part seems to be obsolete.PN 1T6-26341-00-00 front brake cable for a 1977 xs360-2d. anyone able to direct me to another source? or have one lying around after upgrading to a juice disc front brake?

thanks pete

EBAY xs400 part should work no?

Last edited:
I saw one for an 80. I'm not sure if it will fit my 81 either. I don't know why this is a hard to get item. Local dealer wanted $50 plus tax.

Did those cables ever work out for you :bike:? I have a 1982 xs 400s. I found the part I'm looking for but this is half the price on ebay. Hear soon!

Did those cables ever work out for you ? I have a 1982 xs 400s. I found the part I'm looking for but this is half the price on ebay. Hear soon!

Im pretty sure you can oder custom cables that you make to fit any length you want.Dont ask me where you can get them but if you good universal brake cables Im sure you can find them.There was discusion on this topic a while back.

Just to chime in on an old thread, I purchased the brake cable through the ebay link (seller is thevintagespoke.) The cable length is correct for my '81 but the end links are different and the threaded end is thinner than the original, so you will not be able to thread into the drum slot. I just installed mine today and it works well otherwise. My idea for a fix is to get a nut and notch a slot on one side, that way I can slide it over the cable and snug it up through the cable slot.

Last edited:
Had this same issue years ago. Bought a cable from that guy advertised as fitting, but it didn't. A batch of NOS cables came on ebay at some point; I bought a few of them for backups; a rare part to be sure.

Reviving this old thread.

Was working on my 1978 XS400 with drum brakes front and rear getting ready to install a new set of tires and noticed something that did not look right.

The brake cable for the front brake seems to be way too short. With weight off the front end the cable is almost tight enough to play a tune like a bass violin! At the wheel end it comes off the brake backing plate and is pulled up against the bottom of the rear brake lever. At the hand control it is pulled down making a tight angle 45º right at the lever adjuster. I don't see any different way to route it as it is a straight shot down to the front brake from the handle bars.

My thoughts are that someone had to replace it years back and used what they could find in a pinch.

Just wondering if anyone has one off their bike and could make some measurements for me? The one I have has an outer housing length of 44" and an over all length of the inner cable including the crimped on ends of 50". I'm thinking to fit right I would need at a minimum of 2" more on both measurements, maybe as much as 4".

According to the Yamaha online parts book the part number for this bike is a 1T6-26341-00-00. I'm finding some on Ebay for that number but most of those are listing as fitting different models but the same part number, believe some show it as being used on a DT400 for example. I have sent questions to the different sellers to see if they can measure the cables for me but would like to know from someone here what is the right sizes.

Figures I would have 4-5 XS650's and another XS400 sitting in the barn but every one of them have hydraulic disk front brakes. Sometime down the road I may convert this XS400 to disc brakes but for now I just want to get it legal and on the road to see how it handles the sidecar!

From tip to tip of the cable I get 55"

DSC03134.JPG DSC03135.JPG

From tip to tip of the cable I get 55"

Chris,

Thanks that sounds better than this one that is only 50 inches. Now I'm just waiting for one of the guys on Ebay to get back to me. If I don't have any luck with them would you be interested in selling that one?

Ken

Sorry no. With all the bikes I have I need to keep it.

I fully understand with my various motorcycles I tend to value having a supply of spare parts.

With any luck one of the Ebay guys will reply with some measurements, prices are not that bad but don't want to buy a new cable to find out it is just as short as the one I have now.

Back