front brake feel is it right?

turbovee6

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1982 XS400R and I have gone through the entire bike, rebuilt cards,cleaned patched and sealed gas tank, rebuilt front master, new fork seal, new chain, new tires and tubes, anyway the front brake is my last concern. The rebuilding kit for it only comes with the piston and costs about $90.00 before I go and purchase it I need to know if I need it. I THINK I do but figured id ask here before I go put another 100 into it. so here is the question. I am riding the bike I get it up to about 35 and I GRAB A FULL HANDFUL OF BRAKE The bike slows down nicely BUT I CANNOT LOCK UP the front wheel ( I know you NEVER want to lock the front wheel up in a panic stop) is this correct that the front wheel wont lock. I have taken the caliper apart clean and honed the cylinder used the existing seals and piston put it back together, I have purchased a master cyl kit and rebuilt the master cylinder. it has been bled and there is no air in the lines (used a mighty vac vacuum pump kit and also bled it the regular way AFTER using vacuum pump) I have been riding for 30 years and every bike I have has been able to lock the front brake but this is a much smaller and less powerful bike than I am used to . ANY HELP or information would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks in advance
TURBOVEE6
$teve

If you've ridden newer bikes, the brakes on the XS may scare you. They just aren't that good, no matter what you do. If you grab the brake and the lever has resistance, its bled correct. If you grab it and it goes all the way to the grip, you've got issues.

On these bikes you really need to use both brakes. I use 75/25 for straight stops.

The handle HAS RESISTANCE. but it wont lock up the front.IT stops the bike in what I consider to be a fine fashion but not like brakes im used to .When I grab a handful (pull lever all the way, as far as i can) the bike stops just fine but like I said I cant lock up the front which ISNT a bad thing

Then it's good. If you switch to a braided line you might be able to get some more bite out of it. I've never been able to lock mine up.

I've only locked mine up when i fitted twin disks. basically an XS1100 setup.

wouldn't like to think what its like riding the 1100.

mate has the dohc 400 and those brakes scare me.

Back