Front Fork Oil Seal

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
Front fork oil seals are $15. A friend said I should take a seal to our hardware store because they have boxes of little rubber rings like it and could probably find one for a dollar or two. Is there anything special about the seals that would prevent this idea from working?

-Josh

'77 XS400

Agreed, you'll waste time and be very bad off trying to use a "rubber ring", haha (sorry).
Since this a community and I have a set of new oem fork seals, if you are that financially challenged (like me) at this time, i'll donate them. you can pm, i'll send and if you like you can reimburse the shipping, please.
The story is I bought next-to-new lowers off eBay and they had new seals in them (bonus!!), hence the free to give, in-the-box new seals.
ps I don't check the forum everyday, so i'll check back tomorrow probably.

edit: also have 400D, so you're golden

Ha yeah unfortunately I am paying a speeding ticket for going 10 over right now and it's about time to go back to school so my budget for my bike is dwindling quickly. I appreciate your kindness :)

Here's the advantage of being 40 and driving the wife's minivan- I got tagged for 69mph in a 45 zone and he wrote me up for a $25 non-moving seatbelt violation.

Haha if I hadn't heard stories of other people getting warnings I wouldn't believe that they existed! 4 or 5 speeding tickets since I started driving all for 45 (+ or - 3) in 30 mph zones. There's a good chance I'll be driving a minivan this winter though so I'll make sure to get all my speeding in then :p

Here's the advantage of being 40 and driving the wife's minivan- I got tagged for 69mph in a 45 zone and he wrote me up for a $25 non-moving seatbelt violation.

Yeah, even at a younger age driving around in my parents 1990 Volvo sedan helped a lot (being a white male never makes things worse /endcynicism)

On topic there are certain things where I wouldn't mess with mfg spec parts and suspension is one of 'em.

Yeah, I have always secretly theorized that being the only Asian in Indiana never helped my odds of getting out of a speeding ticket. That coupled with long hair is a guaranteed ticket :p

On doing google for 1L9-23145-00-00 turns out on boatsdotnet those seals are same from 1976 XS360 to 1982 XS400. whad do ai no anyway.
The original part this replaces is found at Ace Hardware ;)

Back