front forks

Higgy62

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi..does anyone know if the front forks on xs400 disc brake type are the same length as the early drum brake type.. ive put a drum front wheel in my 82 xs but I need the lower leg with the lug on for the brake plate. any advise !!!!! many thanks

Drum and disc sohc bikes use different fork lowers. You would need both sides and correct spacers and axles for each wheel.

thanks.. I thought as much thought id get away with swapping the lowers while using the original chrome legs... il have to make up a stainless bracket to hold the drum plate I guess... thanks anyway chris . all the best... Higgy

Its too bad youre on the other side of the pond because I have a set of lower forks for a drum brake that I dont need.

Its too bad youre on the other side of the pond because I have a set of lower forks for a drum brake that I dont need.
Hi ive found set of old drum type lowers.. (not got them yet) ive managed to fit the drum wheel into existing disc type forks making new spacers etc will my existing forks fit into older drum type lowers and are the holes the same for the wheel spindle im guessing yes coz my spindle fits the old drum wheel.. if any of this makes sense .. many thanks Higgy

It should all go together and work, as it did with my bike. The drum lowers have a notch in the side for the drum and the disc have the raised areas to mount the caliper bracket. I have the small diameter forks though, I think they are 32mm...The later ones are 34mm?? cant remember.

Tubes are all 33mm. The xs360 does have shorter lengths than the sohc xs400.

It should all go together and work, as it did with my bike. The drum lowers have a notch in the side for the drum and the disc have the raised areas to mount the caliper bracket. I have the small diameter forks though, I think they are 32mm...The later ones are 34mm?? cant remember.
Thanks for all the help and info.. I pick up fork lowers tomoro so il let ya know how I get on. im planning to move the existing fork complete to the other side then do away with the fork with the caliper mounting holes then build up the old lower leg with the drum plate lug on with existing fork leg... ive no idea what im talking about.... but I have a plan

Thanks for all the help and info.. I pick up fork lowers tomoro so il let ya know how I get on. im planning to move the existing fork complete to the other side then do away with the fork with the caliper mounting holes then build up the old lower leg with the drum plate lug on with existing fork leg... ive no idea what im talking about.... but I have a plan
Thanks for all your help..all went together smoothly.thanks again ......Higgy uk

Back