Front wheel axle spacer

Silverkrown

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1981 xs400 that I am putting back together and it appears I am missing the
front wheel axle spacer or collar as it is listed on bike bandit diagram. I'm wondering if anyone has one off a bike and can give me the measurements of the spacer so I can make one on the lathe. I can probably try to measure and figure it out but it would be easier if someone had one in hand that could measure quick. Below is a picture of where I think a spacer should be.

Attachments

• wheelspacer.jpg
    wheelspacer.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I have a 1981 xs400 that I am putting back together and it appears I am missing the
front wheel axle spacer or collar as it is listed on bike bandit diagram. I'm wondering if anyone has one off a bike and can give me the measurements of the spacer so I can make one on the lathe. I can probably try to measure and figure it out but it would be easier if someone had one in hand that could measure quick. Below is a picture of where I think a spacer should be.

I'll be needing some custom spacers for my USD fork conversion in the next few months. Stick around. :)

full

full

full

full

I hope it will help. It's from older model but front fork should be the same I think

(dimensions are in millimeters of course)

full

I hope it will help. It's from older model but front fork should be the same I think

(dimensions are in millimeters of course)

Wow this is perfect! Thanks so much for doing this. It's scary to think that someone was running this bike without the spacer before I got it. Thanks again.

I am surprised nobody asked, but would the brake setup or wheel type affect the spacer size? There is both a front drum and a disc available for the bike in addition to wire versus alloy wheels. There could be a difference.

Hmm not sure. My bike has a front disk brake and alloy wheels. I'll give it a shot since I have someplace to start now and see if it works.

I had some metal laying around so I decided to make the spacer. First cut a piece off longer than I needed. Then turned down to outer diameter. Then the smaller diameter. I didn't have a drill bit big enough so I drill it out and then used the boarding bar to increase the size. Couldn't find my parting tool so I just cut it off with the band saw and faced the cut edge to proper length. Still needs clean up but should work.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 177
wow you are fast!:thumbsup: I hope it will work. How will you solve the problem with dust cover and seal?
Don't forget to update your thread:D

Back