Frustration and at my wits end

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I just need to take a day off of this thing like I always say if the project you are working on gets you frustrated walk away for a bit.I had my carbs in perfect tune then I adjusted the valves.They are so out of wack now I cant even get them close to how I previously had them:banghead:.Im sick of the exhaust on this thing and cant stand the way it sounds anymore:wtf:.I have bent colars and beat them flat only to have them bend again:banghead:.I took and tryed to get them to go over to the same side only to have wasted my time.Maybe I should have asked on here to see if it would work before trying it:shrug:.So then I put the head pipe on the wrong side GRRRRRRRRR!.:doh:I finaly got the system back on right and Im rushing before i run out of light.My shop light burnt a bulb ,cant find a dam replacement anywhere and I dont have $ to run all over fricken town trying to find it.I doesnt seem to have the power and rpms like it did before.Im about ready to take the carbs off and play with the jetting some more.Im starting to feel like how Markjs felt about his bike when he was struggling with his.:mad:

Sounds like its time for a break. You're sure you don't have any spare parts laying around on the bench or floor?

can't see how tuning the valves affect the carburation!

only thing I would be temped to do was adjust the pilot settings

sounds to me like the exhaust is affecting the carbs, so get the exhaust sorted first.

not sure how you mount the exhaust, but it needs to be dismantled and start from the front and fit it so it can move slightly then work backwards.

When its installed, tighten everything up.

tuning the valves would result in the cylinders pulling a different vacuum so the carbs would need to be synced again right?

Yes, he will need a carb re-sync:thumbsup: As long as the valves were adjusted correctly.

Start with a bench synch. If you look in your carbs on the engine side, you'll see three tiny holes in the top. If you've been playing with the synch screw, you may have to start from there. Using just your eyes, try to line them up as closely as possible.

Then go to the manometer.

Let us know how it goes.

I have the carbs sitting here on my desk,when I look at the top inside from the engine side I see 1 small hole not 3.:shrug:Nevermine I found them.Ok now I got it.Adjustment should be pretty close.

Im pretty sure that prior before adjusting the valves my bike had been perfectly tuned.After adjusting them which its possible Im a tad bit off on the measurements even though the engine smoothed out I lost power.I tryed comnpensate by trying to retune the carbs which I totaly screwed the tuning up.Once I tryed adjusting the carbs I play around with the srew that syncs them.Then I try retuning the air fuel mixture which by then the settings on the carbs were totaly out of wack.I found out much today when I took them off.My fuel bowl gaskets were so worn and compressed they were starting to leak.Since I had the fuel bowls off to make new gaskets for them I`d figure I try a little more upsizing on the mains.Im getting pods wich will substancialy increase air flow so I figured it should be ok.Im not sure what exhaust wrapping is going to do with the current adjustments but I`ll see.If its too much jetting on the mains I`ll just go back with the ones I previously had.My bike has been modified to where its very easy to remove the carbs.

Im about ready to torch this son of bitch.I cant get anything to cooperate with this dam bike.I started trying to adjust the valves so im prepaeration I start taking a cover off with gets the crankshft bolt fucking oil starts leaking.Si Tightened up real quick.I had covers off for adjusting the valves had 1 side at top dead center tryd making an adjustment I got it too tight and I have the valves so screwed up its redicuklous.Then I start the bike its idling realy fucking high and no matter what I do to the carbs it wont go down.:wtf:Im so frustrated at this dam bike I wish I would have just left it alone.I had it dam near perfect and all cause of noise that probaly didnt matter for nothing its all fucking screwed up.Anyone got a match?:banghead::mad:

I aplogise for anger in this post you guys know I dont normal go off like this.I dont anyone preachine to me about my rant making me fill anyone but it was just a bad day and nothing is cooperating for me.Im taking a day off from this stupid thing.so I`ll have time to regroup and get my wits back:)

Well I know theres alot of thing I changed or going to change before I do anything more on the carbs.There so out of wack again I could melt them down.When I had it running yesterday It was reving very high and i couldnt get it to stop.I tryed turning the sync screw and it only made it worse.Now I have a true open exhaust and a crank case filter.I should have pods within the week.Im going to do the valve adjustment tomorrow,wish me luck that goes well.Once the valve adjustment is done the carbs are coming off.

Back