Fuel Problem

rwh824

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My bike has been giving me a lot of trouble recently. Now I'm finding that the fuel is not pumping. When the fuel line off the carb intake and push the ignition, no fuel seems to come out. I tried it on RES and ON. When the petcock is set to PRI it drains like it should. I am really frustrated with this bike and am ready to give up on it. PLEASE HELP!

1982 Yamaha Seca 400

These petcocks are vacuum operated when in the res/on position. Unfortunately these parts tend to degrade overtime and stop functioning. You have 2 options either buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the petcock (didnt work for me) or buy a new manual petcock (worked great for me).

I went with the manual petcock. I got the 46mm plate (measure yours) and universal petcock from Parts-N-More. About $40 later, I never have to wonder if the petcock will work. I had to notch the lever to go to reserve, but that's just customizing.

idlescrewleft.jpg

But his petcock seems to be working right. If he has it on "On" position, pulls the tank off the frame. Then ""Carefully"" suck on the hose that should go to the carb boot, fuel should run right out of there. Since I got mine working I have been pulling the hose off the petcock now with minimum leakage. Then when I test the suction theory I dumps fuel onto my yard. (Carefully not to do this next to the campfire)
I think I posted my fix under the "Successful Petcock rebuild" I found that the rebuild kits specifically the K&L one, doesn't put enough pressure onto the mating surface, so I was able to fix that by placing a another o-ring under the big one that came with the kit, I am sure I have photo's under that thread. If not I probably stashed them under my photo album to one day create a tread on my method.
Tobie

Back