Fuel tank draining

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got my petcock off(Hazzah impact driver, gets the part off AND it unleashes the rage. woot.) and I wanted to clean it out some and drain it.

SO! I got the petcock off, took off the gas cap, and was trying to completely drain it.. but nope.

A bunch of shit in there just doesn't drain. Caused by the way the fill system works and the petcock appearently not being anywhere near 'the bottom'. So how can I get this thing empty? I have it sitting outside in the sun, but I doubt it'll get everything out.

So any tips? Short of drilling a drain hole.

Um....no, not a vac- not unless you want an explosion.

Turn it upsde down and pou it out the filler neck. The rest will evaporate.

??

I think I may of misworded the original question. This was water and sediment.

I drained it the normal way (pour it from tank to gas can through filter), left it outside for a few hours, and after I got the petcock off I hosed the thing out for a while.

That what was the crap I wanted to get out. Was there some gas? Probably a few small smidgens of it, but it was been open in the heat for so long it had long since left or turned to vapor.

put the petcock back on and close it, fill the tank with white vinegar and let it sit overnight.
Drain it and repeat until it runs clear. Once it runs clear, rinse it thoroughly.

Then, spray it inside with some WD40 and let that evaporate.

I did this with my old bike and it worked amazing.

be carefull of the petcock, I did that with a gilera tank and the alloy melted on the petcock!

Cba making own topic, i have bunch of cr*p in my seca tank, and it's a pain in the ass to clean out.. won't come out of filler hole or the hole where petcock mounts, i tried sticking a vacum hose down there to vacum it out, but no cigar. Any suggestions?

Back