Gap behind DOHC air filter

JaredK

82 DOHC
Reaction score
As I was trouble-shooting my bike that was stubborn to get going after winter storage, I took a look at the air filter in my DOHC bike, an 82 Maxim. The air filter wasn't pressed up against the air box, but was sitting a little low and off-angle, leaving a nice big gap at the bottom of the filter. Uh oh.

I rolled up part of a shop rag to go behind the filter and press it against the air box so it makes a good seal (1st pic). Seems to be running well now. there's also a plastic peg that presses the filter when the box is closed up to keep it from shifting from side to side (2nd pic), and that seems to line up just fine.

Anyone else have this problem on their DOHC bikes?

Also, while I was in there I found a metal key with a square nut welded to it. I'm not sure where it's from (the PO must've dropped it in the air box).

(As a side note the first issue I noticed with this bike was that it seemed to be running a little lean after a good run on the highway - the rpms tended to hang a bit after the engine was all warmed up. Didn't notice it for city driving, just after some sustained high rpms on the highway. Maybe this air filter seal was the problem? I also rode it half a dozen times later before putting it in storage for winter, same issues - fine in the city, hanging after highway riding. The plugs were also a bit dark/sooty, but not burnt or blistered.)

I guess I'll need to get in there and clean the carbs for the first time - it's probably dirty with that unfiltered air going through. It's had some troubles cold-starting when it's only 5 degrees out, and that's with the choke/fuel enrichment, so either the carbs are a bit dirty or I can blame heavier oil (using 20w50).

Attachments

• IMG_20140425_170334.jpg
    IMG_20140425_170334.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20140425_170727.jpg
    IMG_20140425_170727.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20140425_171506.jpg
    IMG_20140425_171506.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 104
I have an 83 Maxim and on my bike that nut with the long metal piece attached to it is used to secure the airbox to the frame. There should be a hole on the far side of the airbox that it buts up against and should be tightened with a bolt. Also the air filter itself should have this funky looking bent metal piece that secures the air filter in place.

I have an 83 Maxim and on my bike that nut with the long metal piece attached to it is used to secure the airbox to the frame. There should be a hole on the far side of the airbox that it buts up against and should be tightened with a bolt. Also the air filter itself should have this funky looking bent metal piece that secures the air filter in place.

Ah, that makes sense. The bolt was missing from the other side. Should be easy to match it up with the right bolt now.

So there was just a sort of spring clip behind the air filter? Maybe I'll have to check again, but I didn't see that sitting in the air box. I'll probably have to replace it.

You've got it. The placement of that nut thing should be pretty obvious once you look on the far side. Yeah its kinda hard to explain but its number 18 on the diagram. uploadfromtaptalk1398601479086.jpg

Back