Garmin GPS

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Garmin 2597 GPS for next to nothing. I really like it and want to use it on my bike for the trip I am going to take this coming month. As far as wiring goes, I have found plenty of 12V "cig lighter" adapters and also some mounts for the GPS. But the question is, can this bike handle a GPS without being strained? I'd hate to be riding out in the middle of nowhere and end up damaging my bikes' electronics.

You won't have a problem. That GPS charges from USB which is at most 10W. The charging system on your bike is 240W, and you've reduced the regular power consumption with HID and LED's. Just don't live the power adapter plugged in when away from the bike for a long time (many hours or longer). I'd be more concerned with exposing that unit to the elements. Rain and high temps can cause problems unless the unit is designed for it.

Probably has an internal battery?
Keep it fully charged off the bike and it'll only need a minimum amount of power to top up the battery while you're on the road.

Thanks for the info, guys. I've never owned a GPS (except for my smart phone) so I tested out the unit in my Nissan truck this weekend and I love it. It tracks literally everything you would need to know about your entire trip and then some. It will be nice to see the true speed on my bike with this Garmin since my bike speedometer is not accurate.

As far as protecting the unit from elements, I see a lot of after market motorcycle mounts for this unit but only a few of them see to be a protective style. I'll research some more about those before I slap it on the bike.

Get one of these. I used it on my motorcycle for years: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...hash=item4afca01630:m:mIFlKKOx_TBLH8T8zGW6fNw

JimSale18.jpg

JimSale17.jpg

CheapMount4.jpg

Back