Gas leaking into oil

desoda

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just started driving my XS400 this year, and I've had to change my oil 3 times in the past 2 months because I'm getting gas into my oil, even if I turn off the petcock after every ride.

I've been told it may be dirt in my float bowl, but I really don't know what that means. Any ideas?

Your floats could be stuck causing the needle valve not to shut and pouring gas into the crankcase due to dirt in the bowl. I would start by doing a good cleaning of the carbs or atleast the floatbowl and needle valves.

Last edited:
I just started driving my XS400 this year, and I've had to change my oil 3 times in the past 2 months because I'm getting gas into my oil, even if I turn off the petcock after every ride.

I've been told it may be dirt in my float bowl, but I really don't know what that means. Any ideas?
Very diligent with the oil changes _ like i was when flooding problem due to float lowering too much and tab that keeps it from lowering too far would allow it to get stuck. Start with draining the float bowls of gas and whatever else might be in there. Do a search and a bit of reading here

That all sounds good to me.

I have a long weekend coming up and it may be a good time to get into this. I'll look through this site for info, but are there any materials or supplies that I should have on hand (other than tools) to make my life easier?

I found that eventually its better to solve one problem at a time, I did the Homemade manometer, and when I got the bike running, I went right into balancing. Dont put on the airfilters on till your sure that the gas isn't running out into the the airbox side. some where was a blog that showed how to check for float checks, Check the float in a bowl of water. or pail. then there is a off bike check where you plug the tank into the carb, then with the (if your bike has it) connected to the bottom of the fuel bowl a clear tube. that is long enough to be caught by the sparkplug wire, (if it were on the bike), then the basic premise is that the fuel height is limited by the float, so run fuel out the tube into a clean can/soda can/beer ... then pending your bike specifics, the fuel level should always be right at the seam of the fuel bowl, to the bottom of the carb. (look for pics in my profile) Then run more fuel a few more times. (I am only suggesting ounces, not gallons) note that my hole in the float didn't become evident till the next day after it had a chance to fill up of fuel. First day it was functional, then It started to flood on the second day. Then I do the same check once its on the bike. Then cause I am afraid that their may still be a air leak in the Carb boot, I have wrapped mine in a that miracle tape (vinyl tape, good to 500 degrees, available at menards here for under 4 bucks, Look up "tommy tape" on the web to see what I am suggesting, Menards has a generic version. of that. (Sorry about that, I am tired and I am rambling) Good luck.

Gas can only get into the oil from the carbs. As mentioned bad float valves or adjustments can over flow the carbs.
Even if you fix those it may still get gas in the oil. The float valves are NOT a shut off device, they are a fuel metering devise. They are designed to keep a precise fuel level in the float bowls.
If your petcocks have an off position and your carbs overflow when the petcocks are shut off then you need to fix your petcocks.
If your petcocks are vaccumm operated and you get fuel leaks when the bike isn't running, then you need to fix your petcocks.
To test the petcocks, unhook the fuel line at the petcock, run a long fuel line into a catch can. Leave it set over night, does fuel collect in the catch can? If so fix your petcocks.
Leo

Im going to borrow a penny from each of you for my 2 cents. If the float is adjusted incorrectly the float bowls can over flow and leak from your air filters, also check the float needle things that the pins on top and the needles themselves have movement and are not stuck , if you have your "H" adapter for the filters attached the crank case breather is right there (this burns off excess fuels and emissions anyway). I would also rebuild the petcock while you are at it. First time around I had the wavy washer installed in the wrong spot on the petcock giving me grief. Im sure your issue lies somewhere there.

At least you know you are not running lean!

my question is how are you getting rid of your gas soaked oil!? the advanced auto near me wont take oil with gas in it!!

A friend of mine has a garage with a waste oil furnace in it. That thing will burn any flammable fluid you put in it:laugh:

i agree... when i asked Napa to trickle charge my battery the guy looked at me like he had never heard of it before...

I ask them once about ethanol resistant fuel line and they said what's that:doh:

. If the float is adjusted incorrectly the float bowls can over flow and leak from your air filters, also check the float needle things that the pins on top and the needles themselves have movement and are not stuck , if you have your "H" adapter for the filters attached the crank case breather is right there (this burns off excess fuels and emissions anyway).
Yes, Fuel will leak out into both sides, into the head, and the H filter connection, and probably into the oil via the breather too. I hadn't consider that previous to this, I assumed it got into the cylinder, and flushed in to the crankcase.

the only way that fuel can get into your oil is by flowing past your needle valves. Things that I've done to solve this problem is lowering the float height. It will give you less gas in the bowl which will make it a little more lean but it makes a tighter seal on the needle valve.take the floats out and the pin that holds the float in place polish that. Use 1000 grit sandpaper then 2000 grit then a polishing wheel to allow the floats to move freely. old needle valves usually shrink overtime the rubber that is.I hope that helps..

Back