Gas tank

rwh824

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ok what gas tanks will work on the frame of an '82 Seca xs400RJ? I have searched and searched and am unable to come up with the original tank and need to get a tank on the bike. I bought an '82 Maxim 400 thinking it would work, but the mount is shorter. There are a few '81 xs400 tanks on the classifieds but I'm not sure if they will work or not. Any help would really be appreciated.

The only tank that is a direct fit is the original. Everything else will require modifications to fit. Don't forget to check the capacity of the tank, Seca tanks are larger than most at 20L with 4.8L reserve. The Maxim tank is 13L with a 3L reserve. And let me tell you, there isn't a day that I ride that I don't curse that tiny tank!

well there isn't a day that I ride without cursing my Seca's 4.8L reserve... That's way too much if you ask me, I keep running out of fuel in the ON setting

I had the petcock out last week, but didn't see how the tube could be shortened :shrug: ? Tried pulling it out, but that didn't work.. Maybe I should have taken the petcock apart for it, but I was busy doing other things

well there isn't a day that I ride without cursing my Seca's 4.8L reserve... That's way too much if you ask me, I keep running out of fuel in the ON setting

Really? Really??? That sounds like the whining of a spoiled child: "I have more than you, and I'm still not satisfied!". ;) And you aren't running out of fuel, you are having to switch to reserve. A reserve that is half the capacity of my main tank!

My ride for today will have me starting with a full tank of gas, and I will have to fill up before I get to my destination. And then I'll have to top up before reaching my destination, so that I can make it back to a gas station on the return trip, where I will then fill up again. All this for a ~700km journey that is within "Southern Ontario".

hmm I guess in other countries there's just a bigger distance between gas stations.. The Netherlands has one of the highest population densities so lots of them around, barely need any reserve.. And now I'm riding around with 5kg useless weight all the time, since i never use it

If you wanted to use up the 5 kg, you could leave the petcock set on RES and then use your trip odometer to tell you when you are about to run out of all your gas. If yours is like mine, it is within 10 km every time if I fill it consistently.

I should be able to go another 100 km just on my reserve actually, now I think about it

Guess I'm just a bit of a pussy when it comes to being out of fuel altogether.. Usually I don't even get to reserve before filling up

sry for the thread hijack btw ;)

Back