Gasket Question (Do I need Sealer as well?)

jbrum1545

XS400 Member
Reaction score
To get the best seal do I need to use anything with the gasket? I have a small leak on left side crank case cover and want to fix it. I ordered a complete engine gasket kit (over kill but I have the motor out so I figured I'd try to replace what I could) I've read thru the forum and saw people were using three bond quite a bit. Do I need that as well? Also I have a small leak I think coming from the push rod seal, ordered the new seal. I saw a guy put gasket sealer over it after he installed it. Would you recommend that?
Thanks for the help!

I know some people are nuts when it comes to using sealer with every gasket and going completely overboard..

As long as the mating surfaces are clean, use just a gasket. All the gasket surfaces are flat. I didn't use any sealer except where the manual stated to use it, which is mostly on the crank case halves.

When I assembled my engine, the only place that sprung a leak was at the clutch pushrod seal. The seal was all yoked and didn't even make good contact. Replaced that and it's been fine.

Edit- someone correct me if I'm wrong I dont have my manual with me.

Like Mike said, clean and flat is important. Less sealer makes for fewer leaks and a cleaner install. Taking the time to do the prep work will make for a better end result.

That said, I will apply a very small amount of sealant where rubber gaskets go into corners, or where 2 rubber gaskets meet. Just enough to see a thin film of sealant, but not enough to squish out when assembled. With paper type gaskets, I use a thin smear of brush on gasket cement on one side to keep the gasket in place during assembly. Usually on the removable cover. And I wax the other side of the paper gasket so it doesn't stick and tear when the cover is removed in the future. O-rings and seals are lubricated with what ever they will be in contact with (e.g. engine oil) and then installed.

Also agree with the very clean surfaces. Prep is the key. I only use a light coat of grease on the gaskets when I replace them. This is so if I have to remove a cover (like the sump filter) none of the gasket sticks. I have done this many times and still the same gasket will not leak. Sealant should only be for non-gasket mating surfaces. I only use yamabond 4 for those.

Excellent. Thanks for the info! I'm sure more questions will arise when I actually start doing the work hahaha Thanks again! I have the engine on my desk in the living room, girlfriend doesn't seem to happy about it, forgot it was thanksgiving and were having people over...whoops

Back