Gramatron's Build

Gramatron

Meat popsicle
Reaction score
Bike 1.jpg
Hey Guys,
New member here. I've just picked up a 78-79 XS400 Special that will be the base for my most ambitious build to date. I'm starting this thread to keep track of my progress as I get through the project. With any luck, I'll be able to finish sometime in 2015.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the bike. I just got it home. My buddy and I got it stared this past weekend after it sat for 9 years. Easiest carbs I've ever worked on.

Last edited:
Welcome! Looks like you've got some pretty serious rust removal in your future. What are your plans for this build?

Welcome to the forum...I will be watching your progress as I have 79 XS400 that I am making into a café racer..Lots of great info on this website....Spad

Thanks guys! I've been working on rust removal for a few weekends now. I treated the tank with apple cider vinegar, flushed it and put in fresh gas. Hopefully running it for a while with an inline fuel filter will take care of the rest.

I'm also trying a 1-9 ratio of molassas/water to dip other rusted parts. Beyond that, lots and lots of eagle one chrome polish. The chain also came back to life with cleaning and lubrication. I have a rear brake reservoir and clutch lever perch coming in this weekend which should get the bike ridable. More pics when I get all the parts back on.

Build Direction
I'm not sure yet exactly where I want to end up but I'll be taking alot of queue's from a fantastic build I found on BikeExif http://www.bikeexif.com/analog-yamaha-xs400

I'll be upgrading engine/carb internals painting/plating the engine, scaloping the tank and building a set of wire spoked disc brake rims since they seem to be unobtanium.

Got it it riding. The throttle feels good! After a new set of cheap tires, stage 1 will be complete. Here's the first ride.

You need a lid on that head:wink2: It's the most important thing to have. Good to see you have it going.

Without a lid on your noggin you will get more then a rusty noggin the first time you fall down...And you will fall down if you ride a cyclemotor, it is in the bike riders DNA.:yikes:

Lol relax guys, I'm normally the person wearing his leather on 90 degree days. This was a quick test down the block and back.

UPDATE:
Every weekend in August was spent cleaning /tuning the carbs and de-rusting the bike.
Through september I've gotten my hands on a new clutch perch, rear brake master and some new hardware to install it. I was able to ride the bike home where it can be garaged with better tools. It's setting in just how loud these pipes are.

While doing rust removal we experimented with "green" remedies. The tank sat for a week full of apple cider vinegar which was subsequently neutralized via baking soda :wink2:

photo1_zps2d1315ce.jpg

image2_zpsc4f73ee5.jpeg

I found that it did a pretty good job but I'm still running an in-line to be safe.
image3_zps1502db94.jpeg

Another remedy we tried was dipping parts over a week in a 1/10 mixture of molassas and water. Results were moderate. More time would have probably been better.
image1_zps6b0cf74a.jpeg.html

Lastly, I got a new set of rubber to replace the old tread. The front was a stock sized Pirelli MT66 Route and a slightly over sized Shinko in the rear. These wont be the end tires or rims.
Shinko 712 Rear Tire
Color- --, Size- 110/90H-18

photo_zps0ea0ea7a.jpg

Project Stage 1
image_zpse07cd0be.jpeg

Last edited:
Winter:
After many hours of research into parts and fitment specs, I've moved the bike indoors and stripped it down to a rolling frame. Case covers are getting sanded from 800-5000 grit and will will get a polishing later.

I've ordered gloss black high heat 2K Aerospray to paint the engine. I've heard too many chip stories with VHT paints so I'm trying something different. Sadly I made the mistake of ordering from CJ Pony Parts who is taking forever. Who knows when it will arrive.

I stole the hub out of a 650 front wheel I picked up and laced it to an Excel Takasago hoop. It looks good so far but still needs to be true'd up.

Next up I'm ordering the seat which I'm psyched about. The tail is going to be chopped a few inches aft of the shocks And I'm going to weld in a U bar at a 45° up-angle. Anyone whose done this sort of thing before feel free to chime in!

photo%202_zpsq6m5jvnq.jpg

photo%203_zpsiegd9whh.jpg

Update:
Life's been busy but I'm slowly picking up pace again. I found out that my Mikes XS spokes would NOT work with the Excel Takasago rim because they're too long. So I'm searching for an alternative spoke set. This also means that I have to wait to mount the 650 forks.

At present the bike is stripped down to a rolling frame. I picked up a nice bump seat and chopped the tail.

Also, after hours of sanding from 800 grit to 5000, I polished the engine panels and painted the block. The motif was taken from the Analog build. For paint I went with 2K Aero-Spray high heat ceramic gloss black. It feels far less brittle than enamel paints.
Weld 1.png

Frame 1.jpg

Engine 1.jpg

Last edited:
You picked the right paint for the motor. I've got 4 cans ready to replace my vht paint which is almost destroyed just from assembly. I've found that Eastwood is the fastest shipper of the stuff, just for future reference

Also had bad luck with VHT epoxy? rattle can paint. I can't remember what I painted with it; I just remember it did not hold up for crap.

Back