Greetings from Sydney

arl5370

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been enjoying the forum over the past month or so. Strangely, I'd not found it earlier.

Back in 2005 I bought a basket case '79 XS250 SOHC on eBay for $340. I surmised it had been a paddock-basher towards the end as it had some frame damage and the centre-stand was missing (torn off). Alot of mud and crud in the sprocket cover.

I had not heard of a XS250 before, despite a keen interest in bikes. I pulled it apart, ground off the centre stand, had the frame blasted and powder coated and the disks machined.

A new car and a single garage dictated it go into the storeroom and out of mind for many years. I then had a brain snap and threw away alot of bits, thinking I'd never get around to restoring it. Luckily I kept alot of the NOS bits I'd gathered.

Now we have a double garage I've decided to rebirth the old girl, but as a 400. To that end I have sourced 400 engine bits and carbs, mainly from the US, as well as alot of other bits and pieces. When I got home from work today there was a NOS tacho waiting on the verandah :)

I recently had the cases, barrel, head, cam cover, pistons, valves and carbs soda blasted. This was a mixed result. The pistons, valves and head look great. Down side is soda everywhere. It's taken two weekends to get the carbs cleaned.

This weekend I hope to start on the engine rebuild. I'll just hone the bore and put new rings in at this stage. My intention is to get it back on the road as an occasional second ride to my 2003 SV650.

I'll post some pix when next I'm on the laptop.

It's been great reading others' experiences and I'm always amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge and experience on forums like this one.

Cheers,

Ade

Hi there,

Welcome, good to hear another forgotten bike is going to be resurrected! Have fun and good luck on the build.

G'day Ade,

I am in Sydney too. I have done a juggs swap from the 250 to 400. The guys on this forum are great with heaps of knowledge to share. Let me know if you need anything and i will help if i can. I live in the Inner West.
Dont forget to post some pics.
Cheers,

PC

G'day PC, thanks for the welcome. Whereabouts in the Inner West? I'm in Ryde.

I have created an album for the re-build, but I'll add some pix to this thread.

First two were taken in 2005 when the bike arrived on a truck. Others are current.

101-0156_IMG.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

cam chain.jpg

crank.jpg

Last edited:
Back