Handlebars

Heritage Guy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have the original cruiser handlebars on my 1982 XS400. I would like to replace the handlebars with a sport handlebar that is slightly more forward. Was there a sport handlebar option for this bike? Does anyone have suggestions for aftermarket options. I assume this will affect the current cable lengths that are on my bike?:shrug:

Assuming you are going to use the stock risers, then any 7/8" bar will work. You may want to ride to a local bike shop to you can check out the approximate positioning various bars will have. Your budget is the only limiting factor. Inexpensive steel bars are about $25 and up. Aluminium bars are $60 and up.

The stock cables and wiring can be re-routed to compensate for modest changes in the positions of the controls. Just be sure to check they aren't being stretched or binding with the steering at full lock (in both directions) before riding!

I've run stock cables with clip-ons and euro bars; they can be made to work with almost any setup if you play with the routing.

I just put some $25 dirtbike bars on my friend's cb360 and they look awesome. All I did was remove the pad that comes on it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...cing-Aluma-Steel-7-8-Standard-Handlebars.aspx

I'd recommend getting a knurled handlebar as well; it's worth the extra few dollars.

I know sometime in the near future Im going to be changing my bars.I cant stand the stock ones.I just hope it isnt a pia to change grips and cables.Im going with a bar thats swept back.Exactly which ones I have made that decision yet.

Assuming you are going to use the stock risers, then any 7/8" bar will work. You may want to ride to a local bike shop to you can check out the approximate positioning various bars will have. Your budget is the only limiting factor. Inexpensive steel bars are about $25 and up. Aluminium bars are $60 and up.

The stock cables and wiring can be re-routed to compensate for modest changes in the positions of the controls. Just be sure to check they aren't being stretched or binding with the steering at full lock (in both directions) before riding!

Thanks for the information 16VGTIDave. I do plan on using the stock risers so there should be alot of choice.

I've run stock cables with clip-ons and euro bars; they can be made to work with almost any setup if you play with the routing.

I just put some $25 dirtbike bars on my friend's cb360 and they look awesome. All I did was remove the pad that comes on it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...cing-Aluma-Steel-7-8-Standard-Handlebars.aspx

I'd recommend getting a knurled handlebar as well; it's worth the extra few dollars.

Thanks for the information regarding the handlebars bcware. I plan to use the exisiting risers so I should have alot of handlebar choices. Looking forward to getting the bike on the road.

I changed to superbike bars recently, and I just re-routed the clutch and throttle cables...however, if you have a drum brake in the front - I could not re-route that cable enough without it looking stupid. I had to try a bunch of different clutch cables made for other bikes until I found one that was a good length with the right travel.

I changed to superbike bars recently, and I just re-routed the clutch and throttle cables...however, if you have a drum brake in the front - I could not re-route that cable enough without it looking stupid. I had to try a bunch of different clutch cables made for other bikes until I found one that was a good length with the right travel.
stoberto, thanks for the good ideas. Fortunately I do not have drum brakes on the front, and I plan to only make a subtle change to the handlebars so hopefully the re-routing of the cables will not be too difficult.

So question concerning removal of the grips and associated parts.Do the grips just slide off with some good olefashoined pulling or is there something that needs to be loosed first?

So question concerning removal of the grips and associated parts.Do the grips just slide off with some good olefashoined pulling or is there something that needs to be loosed first?

Good question...I would also like to know the process regarding grip/throttle removal.

Lift the grip and squirt some soapy water under them. Work the water around and push the grip off. The grip should bunch up and slide off. Pulling the grip will make it grab the bar. Like a Chinese finger puzzle...

I used a set of European style handlebars. They gave me a more sporty feel, made the bike loads more fun, and I feel like I have tons more control over those old cruiser ones. Bike looks better as well. I have pictures if you'd like to look, they only cost me like twenty bucks and are definitely worth it.

I used a set of European style handlebars. They gave me a more sporty feel, made the bike loads more fun, and I feel like I have tons more control over those old cruiser ones. Bike looks better as well. I have pictures if you'd like to look, they only cost me like twenty bucks and are definitely worth it.

I would love to see some photos karatekid1194!:thumbsup:

I'll take some picutes of the handlebars specifically later, I'm at work now and probably not supposed to be on the forum! shhhhhhhh :)

showthread.php

Back