Has anybody tried this as a replacement 76-77-78 tank

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
That looks interesting for the maxim...…..11 cm works out to 4 1/4 plus...….the frame is 3" I think.....that might just work but seems sort of wide for the erlier frames ?

I felt that gap was able to overcome, the width and indents for the coils and overall length to the mount were pretty spot on

Im not sure about the Maxim models, but those retainer nubs up front look kind of big. Like it would be metal on metal and no room for a rubber damper.

Im not sure about the Maxim models, but those retainer nubs up front look kind of big. Like it would be metal on metal and no room for a rubber damper.

If you measure the inside of the tank on those they are only maybe 3" if that inside. I had to tweak a tank to make it fit the maxim frame so should work on the earlier models.

There is a gap there which might be able to be filled with rubber pucks, or cut off and pucks installed. I am intrigued as there are no alternatives that let you use the stock seat with another tank.

I want to keep the seat and tail section, probably carve it down a bit, I have an extra seat foam pad to experiment with to blend the lines a bit....I would prefer the "right" tank at a nice price but I think I may take the plunge if I don't find anything else. I won't spend a fortune for the tank, there are other things I could spend money on!

Back