Having a strange issue with starter button

gregdaybreak

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey XS400 forum,

I have a 1978 XS400E that I have had for about a year now. It is my first bike and I am loving it.

I recently went to start the bike and the starter button popped out and fell on the ground.
I pushed it back in and the bike started right up so I could get home.

The button for the starter is broken and only one little piece of the button lip is still intact. The bike starts but I have to push in the button pretty hard and sometimes need to use a key or something to push it in far enough to turn over.

I ordered a pair of aluminum buttons but I figured I could temporarily relocate the horn button over to the starter button until the new buttons arrived.

I took off the horn button and then took apart the right controls and took out the broken button and replaced the starter button with the horn button.

I noticed the starter button did not have the metal insert that goes into the button that the horn button did.

I put everything back together and when I went to push the starter button nothing happened. I could not get the bike to start...

After taking the control apart and trial and error I could not get anything going... I even tried taking the metal piece out of the button and trying it that way and nothing...

I then took the old button and put it back in and assembled the thing for the 20th time. I had to push the button in pretty far but boom the bike started fine

I have now left it like this because I can at least get the bike started even though it has the crappy broken button in. In the chaos I ended up losing the little spring for the horn button but I will keep looking around. Worse case I can order one....

Can you guys assist me in telling me why the busted button is working to start the bike but the horn button that is intact will not?

It has me stumped and I could use some assistance

Thanks!

Greg

I just recently replaced my starter button as it also flew out. FYI, you can order these off Ebay.uk. The horn and starter button should be the same. Looks like it's not making good contact, as you shouldn't have to push them too far in. Take a picture of how you installed it. With my bike, I noticed there was a little metal case that houses the bottom that came apart. Make sure you actually installed the button correctly in the case. Take a picture of how you did it.

I got an aluminum one and put that in. The issue was caused by the button housing. When I tighten the screw that connects the button housing to the right controls it compresses the housing in a way that will not allow the button to push in enough to start the bike. I loosened the screw a bit and made sure that the button could move in and spring back properly and the issue was solved. I pushed on the bottom of the housing with a screw driver to make sure it was all aligned also. Thanks!

I'm haveing a simaler problem with my start botton. I took I apart and restreched the spring and it worked onec I put it back. I'm going to try that again. It sounds like you guys found new ones easaily. Where did u find the aluminum one Greg?

failing to get the original start button..you can use and plunger type button ie the ones that releases when you take your finger off u can locate it anywhere on the bike as long as its easily accessible. just connect the two wires to it and away you go

I found a link on here. I think it was in a thread titled "Button, Button who's got the Button."
Works the charm and being aluminum it looks good in the black housings. I ordered a few and replaced the horn button too. May as well match.
As I remember the seller can make them out of plastic too if you want a stock look. Sells the springs too.
Leo

Back