head swap went well until I hit a snag

braydon56001

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
so the head swap went well until I realized the motor wouldnt turn over easily. I took off the cam cover box and noticed one of the cam lobs was hung up on the rocker arm. so I put the cam cover back on and opened up the inspection over on top and backed it off. The motor turned alittle more but to get it to do a complete revolution I had to back all the rocker arms back. and I know I went way too far backing them off :banghead:. I looked in my service manual but it wasnt too clear about the adjustment so im completly lost it would be much appriciated if someone walked me threw step by step thanks! alitttle more info some may say im crazy for this but the head and cam cover are not matching numbers the head was off a parts bike without the cam cover everything matched up well but the cam lobes catching the rocker arms

first; it sounds like you got the cam timing mixed up, with the valve/s hitting the piston.

second; how does a cam lobe "hang up" a rocker arm? no idea what you mean

third, I used a bike with mis matched cam cover and head and it worked fine. I think after 30 years, any precision line boring will be lost through wear.

Back