headlight woes

slmon92

82 heritage special
Reaction score
having a headlight, head scratcher. I have power to the terminals...is there supposed to be to the ground? and I also hooked up the headlight right to the battery and it works.. so whats the deal :banghead:

This is not exactly true,on my bike when the electrical was working properly my head light,tail light,oil, neutral light and head light indicator in the instrument cluster would come on before the engine started.

When the headlight comes on is determined by the year of the bike. The early years didn't, the later years Around 78 or 79 they started coming on after starting and they did away with the headlight on/off switch.
On your headlight you have three terminals. Two hots, one for low beam the other for high beam and a ground. Yamaha often used a green for the low beam and a yellow for high beam. Black for ground.
If you have all the switches on and you check voltages you should get a voltage on the green wire on low beam, a voltage on the yellow on the high beam. If you do and you plug in the light and nothing is working then you have no ground. To check the ground turn off all the switches. Put your meter on the lowest ohms scale. Touch one probe to the black wire of the bulb socket the other to the battery negative. You should get a very low reading.
If you get a high reading, like infinity you have a loose or disconnected ground. Trace along the black wire to find where it's disconnected.
Leo

Back