Headlight won't work, but hi-beam indicator is always on

JARichmond

XSively Addicted
Reaction score
Hey XS400 gurus and guresses (just made that one up). I'm having a strange issue with my headlight that I've been unable to figure out myself, nor through searching other threads. As the title suggests, it's an electrical issue that seems to affect my headlight and hi-beam dash light. Here-goes:

So I spent yesterday with family up north to enjoy the long weekend that us Ontarians had. It was wonderful, but I was greeted by an unwelcome surprise when it was time to head back home. Doing my usual pre-ride check, I found that my headlight wasn't working in any position. I'd start it in lo-beam, nothing. I'd hit the hi-beam, nothing. As well, I noticed that my hi-beam indicator light was always on, regardless of switch position. It wasn't like that on the drive up the day before, and I hadn't touched any of the wiring around there in between :confused: .

A few things worth noting:
I did take the sprocket cover off of the engine to show some friends my previous dilemma with the shorting in between trips.
I have inspected the relay and, although it looks beat up to shite (and doctored with electrical tape), it clicks when power is applied. I also swapped relays in case and nothing changed.
The wiring in the headlight bucket also looks fine. I didn't inspect all the wires methodically, as it's just a confusing rat's nest in there.

Nothing looks amiss to me (except the obvious lights not doing what they're supposed to). I need you, gurus and guresses, to help me fix my bike with the power of internet!

Got it to work. I took the switch housing apart and found that the black wire had been sitting between the switch and bar. It was flat as a pancake. I suspect that it was pinched between the grounding points. Now that the wire has been moved into a safer location, the headlight works perfectly.

Back