headlight

salisride

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
does anyone know where to get a new sealed beam headlight for my 1980 xs400 its the sealed beam and 7in is to big and 5 3/4 is too small any ideas what size stock is or where to get a new one ?

Not an exact answer to your post but .... I repaced the bulb in our 80 xs400 with a halogen bulb purchased from the local Pep Boys for $19. I had to pry back the tabs holding the original bulb in place and gently drill thru the base of the bulb and break the bulb to remove it from the glass reflector (while being careful not to break the glass reflector). I used a set of tin snips to shape the base of the halogen bulb to the same shape as the base of the original bulb. The skinny halogen bulb slips right into old glass reflector and then is secured in place by bending back the original tabs. The halogen bulb plugs right into the original wiring harness without modifications. It provides much better lighting than the original bulb.

Sorry, no pictures. It was actually pretty easy. Pull the original headlight out. The original headlight is actually a reflector and buld put together as a single unit. Drill thru the base of the bulb to allow access to break the bulb glass (not the reflector glass), bend back the tabs to remove the base of the bulb. Purchase a halogen bulb and trim the base with tin snips to fit like the original bulb. Insert the halogen bulb into the reflector. Bend the tabs back to retain the new halogen bulb. If you remove the bulb/reflector unit it becomes intuitively obvious to the casual observer what needs to be doen to replace the original bulb.

HoughMade, I looked on candlepower's website. Which model did you use? the 60/55W? Is the electrical system able to light that with no problems? Sorry for the thread hijack, but I think others would also find this interesting and it would answer the OP's question too!

Back