Headlight

DK2600

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have got a new headlight with two bulbs a little pilot and the main one. When the ignition is turned on there is light in the pilot bulb but I need to push the light switch into HIGH before there is light in the main bulb is that okay?

What is the difference between LOW and HIGH? Some motorcycles especially the rebuild café motorcycles only have one light switch ON/OFF

Please let me have your feedback/comments

Can we get a photo?
Sounds like it's probably functioning correctly.

Like any car there's a regular headlight mode that shoots down on the road ahead of the vehicle and a highbeam mode that illuminates the entire visible ahead in front, higher than the regular beam.
How much illumination do the two modes provide?

The small bulb is for use in some European countries, in cities where the streets are well lit. It doesn't provide any usable road illumination, just a white light on the front of the vehicle. I wouldn't use that light for anything other than a marker light when the bike is parked (connect it to the marker light in the tail light). The actual headlight(s) should have a low beam and high beam setting to be road legal. The low beam is often required to be (and should be) on at all times for safety.

Do not think for one second that the bikes featured on various websites are road legal. 99.99% of them are styling exercises put out by back alley hacks trying to make a quick $. Most of them don't even run, as evidenced by the shiny clean insides of the exhaust pipes/mufflers.

Thank you for your respond - and YES you are right in order to be road legal here in Europe
the motorcycle should should have a low beam and high beam setting - new light switch has already been ordered.

Back