Hello, a quick story of my XS250 so far, and pictures.

Ringo_60013

XS250 owner
Reaction score
Hello all, thought it was about time i posted something about me and my XS250. I'm from Newcastle, UK, I'm 21 and my bike is 36 this year, a 1977 model XS250 with less than 13000 miles on the clock. Bought her 2 and a half years ago for the princely sum of £300. She wasn't in bad condition when i got her, but didn't start too well and needed a general tidy up.

Once i'd done a little work she looked pretty good in standard trim, only one small dent to the left side of the tank. Unfortunately i dropped her at a junction at about 15mph and did all sorts of damage. Bent frame (non structural), smashed indicators, mangled rear mudguard... the usual. The cause? Worn out steering head bearing plus a pot hole on an oily bit of road in the wet.... I wouldn't mind but i wasn't trying to get anywhere fast. You live and learn.

Anyway, i took the opportunity to rebuild cosmetically in such a way as i could put her back to standard if i wished. I did all the work myself, including building the seat and tail piece from scratch.

I rode her like she is in the 2nd and 3rd pictures for almost a year until a couple of sods decided to half inch her, taking a 14 mile joyride round Middlesbrough where i was staying at the time. I got her back but with damage.

Once i'd repaired the wiring loom and gotten her running again i took the chance to do something different. Since i'm a little short in the leg, i wanted to try to lower the seat as much as possible, and also fit a fairing for motorway driving. So over last summer, 2012, I stripped everything cosmetic off her, from the tank and seat, right down to the head light and switch gear. I also took the chance to lose the battery box and air boxes as they were shot.

Again i did all the work myself except for the lacquer coat on the tank as my previous attempt hadn't gone too smoothly. I built the tail piece for the seat from wire mesh, covered in 3 layers of fibreglass, and then body filler till smooth. Chopped the frame and bent up the tube to create the loop. The fairing is a race fairing from a TZR250 1975 model if i remember right (sold by Mead Speed), though i cut the holes for the alternator and headlight and built up the brackets myself. The battery is now situated under the rear of the tank, under a folded piece of steel sheet, silver soldered to the rear of the fuel tank.

I've been running her like she is in the last 3 images since October and so far the only problems i've encountered have been electrical... not my forte. I've had her jetted and run on the dyno and she makes 20BHP at the wheel, which i'd like to improve on eventually. This year i've so far started getting parts together to upgrade to twin disc brakes at the front (thanks Drewpy for the info), and i'm hoping to have a new exhaust system built up specifically for her. I'd also like to improve the handling if i have enough budget left.

That's clearly enough talking, so here's some pictures.... Any questions?

Joe

Attachments

• Before crash1.jpg
    Before crash1.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 012e.jpg
    012e.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 013e.jpg
    013e.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 016e.jpg
    016e.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 354
  • P4012491e.jpg
    P4012491e.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 327
nice steed you have there, I see you have the brackets for the twin disk and that's the hardest part methinks.

what's with the pannier frames on the bike, have they been adapted to fit?

have you checked out the yamaha cup? they had a series in Germany which used the xs400 as a basis for a 1 make race series, still going i believe with R6's

Cheers guys, I'm doing performance upgrades this summer concentrating on the brakes and handling whilst there's money in the budget.

The fairing is from Mead Speed (www.meadspeed.com) in Buckinghamshire, England. Its a 1973 -1975 TZ250/350 Race fairing replica with the holes for headlight and alternator cut into it and then trimmed to fit round the exhausts and the kickstarter, on the TZ it should have a belly pan, but being a four-stroke motor it's taller and won't fit over the XS.

The panniers were given to me by the guy i bought it off, not fitted at the time. They're old BMW Krauser panniers which i used last year to and from University. The old BMW badges had peeled off so i replaced them with Yamaha tuning fork ones. I made the brackets to fit the plastic frames to the bike myself, though i'm thinking of taking them off as i'm not using them at the moment and it spoils the look of the machine.

Its an early XS250 which is why its got the left hand brackets, i've already gotten the 'new' disks through the post and i'm going to buy the calipers and mastercylinder soon. Its expensive on a student budget but the brakes are crap to be honest.

I think i've heard mention of the Yamaha Cup, but i shall look it up now, thanks Drewpy.

Here are some pictures during the build, and one with the panniers on. Haven't got a picture of her with them on last year.

Joe

PS. 'She' is called Molly, and i was going to put some WW2 aircraft nose art on the tank with 'Good Golly Miss Molly' but i think it might just spoil it now.

Attachments

• 166e.jpg
    166e.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 318
  • 015e.jpg
    015e.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 314
  • P8180873e.jpg
    P8180873e.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 276
  • P7280864e.jpg
    P7280864e.jpg