Hello from Central Alberta

Grilldemon

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1982 XS400J Maxim project bike to rebuild for the wife. She wants her own now, instead of riding on the back of my VF1000F. Starting a the front, (whole front end off right now) replacing items as I need and polishing/painting everything in sight. A lot of work, but I enjoy it.

Here is a few pics
The start

Front end off

Forks rebuilt and polished:

Triple Tree painted, and getting clear coated as we type:

Waiting on Caliper parts and front wheel seals. Then will go back together

Mama has decided on Dodge Plum Crazy for a color. Never Painted purple before, but being a dark color, it shouldn't be too bad.

Progress on Mama's ride:

Forks and Triple tree installed. Front wheel almost together, new bearings, seals and rebuilt caliper ready to go back on w/SS brake line. Will post pic when together.

Carbs waiting for gaskets and 0-rings. Cleaned them by soda blast. Works excellent

Mrs. finally decided on a color. Dodge Plum crazy. I got a spray bomb made, and tried it out on my "test tank

Learned something while painting. Darker primer really makes the purple pop. did one side with grey primer, and one side with black primer. The black side looks better.

Been awhile since I made any progress on my fair lady's bike. Now that work has slowed down, I have time to work on it. Motor is painted, and now working on the aluminum bits.

Been polishing aluminum like mad. These Yamaha alum covers are different from the forks and other alum I've polished. it's a bitch getting all the sanding/buffing marks out.

Been hard to get back to this project. Work, construction projects, etc. Finally got to do some more polishing and painting on the motor;

Just need to install new sight glass, and then I can button her up.

Next is sprucing up the frame and reassembling carbs.

Finally got back to putting this machine together. I sent the frame for powdercoat, and, with some help help from my buddy, accomplished all this yesterday.

The swingarm is the color of the bodywork, which I am also working on.
I got the idea from a maxim I saw online. Should look pretty good when done.

I like it.
It will be much cleaner than mine. I painted my 83 400 Seca " Deep Purple " with a brush.
Painted the swing arm grey close to the original colour. Did not have the time or inclination to strip DP completely. Needed to have him running.
Only warm shed I have is about 9 X 9 and full of things.
I will be working on the steering head bearings and front forks next year, when I have the summer bike running. DP is my winter bike.

Hope your project goes well.

Unkle Crusty*

Been awhile since I've updated

Making some more progress. All that's left is front brake bleeding, footpegs and the bodywork. Gotta get my ass in gear

Back