Hello... new project

I thought I recognized your user name over there. That was the first fairing out of my Read Titan mold. Hope you like her.

im dirk over at cr.net, cxf here.cxf at cb650, cxf at kz750 twins, cxf at wildgoose m-g, and dirk at nj m-g owners. thanks, took me awhile to get the hardware right. i have it secured at the lowers and have 2 pieces of flat stock going from behind the headstock to both sides of the headlight bolts than to the front of the fairing. it kept on "sliding" down in front. i had to put another bolt thru the 2 pieces of flat stock in front of the headtube to "pinch" it. seemed to work. i also removed a few inches of the lower part. and also had to remove some of the material on the "dashboard". but overall i like the way it looks.

That's just how it is over there. You can either handle it, or not. Some of the guys may come off a dicks, but they know their stuff...

I haven't read that forum, but this got me thinking about what I like about this forum.

Maybe it's that we all start with inexpensive commuter bikes, and maybe it's that the xs400 isn't a common bike to customize, but I like that you don't have to "handle" anything here. Just come with your questions.

Oh, and be ready to clean your carbs.

leave me out of it, did you think maybe i posted the link because others might also own xs400's and be members of this site also. (i do and have been a member here since 7/2/2011. i didnt say anything about your bike. just posted the link. i like your bike and i wasnt trying to "so you could all twirl your hair while making snarky remarks at the lunch table. I just returned the favor here" it was not my intention. all i did was post the link. im not a " like-minded snot". some people liked your bike on cr.net and i thought others ,besides myself would like to follow your progress. ive never caused trouble on this site or other sites . im sorry for the confussion ( i also dont like to be called names). sorry to the bosses on this site. just trying to clear some things up. heres a pic of my xs, and yes i posted it on cr.net, since this photo ive removed the pipe wrap and put on new a/m rear shocks. i didnt here anything negitive from anybody there.
Picture_654.jpg

Nice bike. i brought you in here inadvertently since your post (at caferacer.net) pointed everyone over here (where you stated that people could see my "build" here...) "build".. I took that as an eye roller but nothing personal, no harm, no foul, it's all good.

Wally

sorry your thread got derailled and i should have have used the word "project". like you have in your title (sorry again)whats most important is that this(xs400) is a great site w/ helpful and nice people

Last edited:
sorry your thread got derailled and i should have have used the word "project". like you have in your title (sorry again)whats most important is that this(xs400) is a great site w/ helpful and nice people

I agree, nice folks. (no need to apologize my friend).:)

Wally

Back to your bike wallster, can't wait to see what kind of seat you're going to put on that badboy. Btw like I've said before I'll be taking some of your ideas to incorporate into my build. My slow....ass....build lol. Hey I noticed you relocated your rear spring mounts and have a metal plate attached on the swingarm where the chain rubs? any issues with that so far?

great job wallster! Your bike looks fabulous - especially in red and silver color combo! I always thought that the stock rearsets won't look good on café build but I was wrong.

Wow, I really like how you did your bike, I've been waiting for you to finish it and I really like it. I've been wanting to start my cafe and doing it red, seeing this makes me really want to start mine now. Very clean electrical box. Don't get mad if my bike looks just like yours later, lol. Good job!

Back to your bike wallster, can't wait to see what kind of seat you're going to put on that badboy. Btw like I've said before I'll be taking some of your ideas to incorporate into my build. My slow....ass....build lol. Hey I noticed you relocated your rear spring mounts and have a metal plate attached on the swingarm where the chain rubs? any issues with that so far?

Thanks everyone on the accolades. I haven't decided on a seat yet so for now it won't have one (padded seat), relocating the rear shock mounts made the chain rub against the swingarm when the bike is on the center stand but when it's on the ground it just clears. I riveted a piece of aluminum to the swingarm just in case it is more of a problem. Time will tell if I need to place a chain tensioner/gear somewhere on there for clearance. I didn't build the bike as a daily rider, I was looking for something that would look cool in a mancave but still be rideable every once in a while. It was more of a challenge for me to build something unique without spending a lot of money. I came in at $898. which is pretty good for a running, rideable bike that's different.

Wally

Back