Hello XS-ers. Lookin to join the ranks

TiZiK

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just an intro to the site. Dont have an XS (yet), just researching.

I've been wanting to do a cafe build for a few years now. That urge has become too strong to resist so I have been tracking down a couple canidates that could be had for cheap and am looking forward to getting out the cut-off wheels and grinders and get to it.

Found a local guy who has a few (5) XS 400s. $500 or less for anyone of them. Went to have a look and they are in decent shape and am leaning towards the XS 400 as I work at a Yamaha dealership and seeing how this guy has 5 of them, I know where to find donors!

Maybe someone can help ID them?

#s were 14w, 4T5, and 3y7. I checked the history thread and the PDF list. Unfortunatly, they are not listed.

Can anyone help on this matter?

As my contribution to the site, if anyone needs a PDF copy of ANY Yamaha Service Manual, let me know....

**Just wanted to add a quick bio. I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I work as a tech at a multi-line dealership. Aprilia, BMW, Triumph, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi and Husqvarna. Fell in love with the cafe racers and am looking to build one out of the XS 400.

:bike:

Last edited:
Never heard of those 3 mate. Maybe try the German XS400 sites as they might have a more comprehensive model list. Some pics might help as you suggested.

welcome Tizik, might be just Canadian import codes unique to where you live. I must admit, I never heard of those before, although I do recall some guy quoting a code and he misread it completely!

I'm gonna go with Canadian models. I quoted the right numbers, got'em off the pics on my iPhone. I searched this whole forum following link after link... Even that German link, and to no avail.

I'll definitely be going back and having a second look. The guy had his bikes clustered together pretty tightly, so I didn't bother trying to get pics at that time. I'll snap a few pics and post them up here. If you guys can help ID them, then we can add 3 more ID codes to the list.

Hopefully I can get one of them for as cheap as possible. I am on a very small... Let me correct that... A non-existent budget! Lol I only have access to funds that the wife doesn't/won't know about. Lol I have a few dollars stashed that should get me the bike and get my project started, so hopefully I choose the right bike. On a good note, the guy told me that if the one I take isn't working out, just bring it back an get another one! Sweet!!

Also, since I plan on making a minimal cafe outta the thing, I already told him ghat he can have all the stuff I take off, hopefully that will play into my favor on the price of the bike.

Can't wait to get started on this thing! Too many ideas in my head and I need output!!!

Back