Hello

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Wes, and today I have just bought a 1981 Yamaha XS400 Special with 3,600 miles on it. I have riding experience on 1980's Suzuki GS300 and a Hondamatic 400, but this is the first bike that I actually own.

I have a shop to keep it at, but was wondering what tools are pretty common to fix it so I can keep those at my shop?

And is there anything I need to watch out for while riding this bike?

Hello! and welcome.:)

There really arn't too many problems with these bikes. Just the usual 30 year old bike problems everyone has.:shrug:
If you have a specific problem then this is where to come for help.

As for tools, the only thing that comes to mind is to get a good Metric Allen Key socket set and a breaker bar. If you plan on taking the engine side covers off you want a good fitting Allen socket and a breaker bar with some length to it. There is not enough leverage with a standard wrachet to break the bolts loose. Also if you dealing with a philipps head screw, make sure you use the right size screw driver. The screws on these (all Japanese?) bikes are soft and the head strips easly.
Other than that enjoy the ride.:bike:

Hello! and welcome.:)

There really arn't too many problems with these bikes. Just the usual 30 year old bike problems everyone has.:shrug:
If you have a specific problem then this is where to come for help.

As for tools, the only thing that comes to mind is to get a good Metric Allen Key socket set and a breaker bar. If you plan on taking the engine side covers off you want a good fitting Allen socket and a breaker bar with some length to it. There is not enough leverage with a standard wrachet to break the bolts loose. Also if you dealing with a philipps head screw, make sure you use the right size screw driver. The screws on these (all Japanese?) bikes are soft and the head strips easly.
Other than that enjoy the ride.:bike:
Thanks for the reply!

I'm getting the bike this monday, and unfortunately I have no choice but to ride it to where I am storing it. Ive been doing some reading on here, and once it's at its destination, I'll be going through this list.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

I've also ordered the Hayne's manual, should be here by next weekend or the following.

She also needs some new tires as well, so she will be down for at least a few weekends, but I am more than happy to get to go bond with her in that amount of time. The big reason that she is going to be sitting, aside from the list of things I need to check and/or correct, is that my riding gear is not where I live and the soonest I can pick it up is the end of the month. After all of that though, we will be going on a few trips before winter hits, then next summer we'll be hitting the dusty trails hard.

Thanks for the reply again, love the site, going to be coming here when I get stumped by the bike or the manual alike.

BTW, I have not given her a name yet, any ideas? I'll try to get a picture of her when I take her in, may be a few weeks or so. Going to try to get a full shot before she comes apart, but she is a nice black lady that needs a name still :)

Last edited:
I'm not much on naming my vehicles. I had a 1968 Olds once that I named the Bluesmobile. My freinds quickly renamed it the Purple Pig. I haven't named a vehicle since.

Thanks for the link to the list. I haven't seen that one before. Theres some real good info in there.
I owe you for that one.

I'm still trying to think of a name for her. I was driving around today and pondering that. The one that came up mostly was "Loretta" from Family Guy, because the bike is all black. But as far as I'm concerned I'm not sold on that and I'll still be thinking about it.

I'm still trying to think of a name for her. I was driving around today and pondering that. The one that came up mostly was "Loretta" from Family Guy, because the bike is all black. But as far as I'm concerned I'm not sold on that and I'll still be thinking about it.

what about whoopi ( as in goldberg) :laugh:

well i took the bike home today. needs new tires, need to clean the carbs better than the guy who sold it to me, needs new speedo cable (possibly even a new speedo), new clutch cable, and probably new front brakes. so after one hairy ride home getting to know her, she is going to be dismantled, but will soon be reassembled. i am happy to report though, that for the power output of the engine, that bike goes! i really enjoy the vibration around 7-8k rpm when my vision gets blurry from the engine working.

well i took the bike home today. needs new tires, need to clean the carbs better than the guy who sold it to me, needs new speedo cable (possibly even a new speedo), new clutch cable, and probably new front brakes. so after one hairy ride home getting to know her, she is going to be dismantled, but will soon be reassembled. i am happy to report though, that for the power output of the engine, that bike goes! i really enjoy the vibration around 7-8k rpm when my vision gets blurry from the engine working.

mine smooths out at 7-10k, 5-6k is my vibration spot.

is there a certain spot where the engine vibration is bad to be in? such as the 5k or the 8k mark? or does every engine have its own personality on when it chooses to do so?

I've been able tune the vibrations to different revs, using carb balance, fueling and ignition timing.
I prefer it the most efficient which 7k is peak torque and 8.5k max HP.

each engine will be different with dynamic balancing of the crank etc

I've done some digging and I read that the SOHC models of this engine weren't very good? Or this all a lie and the engine will last me a long time?

And that's the bike I have:confused:

I've been able tune the vibrations to different revs, using carb balance, fueling and ignition timing.
I prefer it the most efficient which 7k is peak torque and 8.5k max HP.

each engine will be different with dynamic balancing of the crank etc

Hmm. Is it ok to keep going past this vibration point? She has another couple thousand to give before redline, but I wouldn't want to damage the engine by pushing it too much.

Glad you like the name, yeah, strip off the fenders...unless it is wet where you ride. I have nothing for you in regards to the DOHC vs DOHC. I am sure others will.

Back