HELP | Installing rear wheel/with drum 81 s400

Carolinarooster

79' XS400
Reaction score
ok, so I'm at the point of putting my wheels back on. I was careful to bag and label every part from disassembly... but its been months since removal... and am pretty sure of how to reassemble... but am getting worried ill leave part out.
81' wheel with drums...
what parts exactly go on the rear axel.. order?
THANKS in advance for any help with this.

Thanks. I'm losing my mind. Either I have a short axel or my frame is too wide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 306
Either you are missing number 23 in the picture, or your swingarm is tweaked. On mine the wheel and spacers are a nice tight fit.

When you tighten the axle nut the swingarm pulls in quite a bit. What do you have on the other side?

Also, the front axle is shorter and a different diameter than the rear.

Hard tail wasn't welded on a proper jig then. I wouldn't ride something that tweaked, but that's just me.

The hard-tail is the issue. How well did the wheel fit in it before?

It's actually been hardtailed. I'll post pic. It's the exact same width as the bike I took it off of

Are you saying the hard tail and the swing arm are the same width? You sure you have the right axle for the swing arm that came off the bike? I would not think the frame or swing arm would need more than maybe 1/16 inch clearance to let things slip together. Not sure if a 1978 swing arm would be the same width but I might try to measure mine to see what it is.

Problem solved.
The frame, by the way was welded by a expert motorcycle welder and is straight as an arrow.
The hard tail kit that was welded on was a 20mm axel fit, and I have a 17mm axel.
Time to order a new axel. What a challenge this has been, but fun.

If your welder was such a pro he would have had the axle plates lined up with a spacer that held them the right distance apart to match the wheel you are using.
Leo

Take it easy. The welder isn't building my bike, I am. He welded the frame to the numbers the spec sheet had written out for the weld. I just wanted to make it clear the frame was properly welded to exhaust that being the issue.

Won't you also be needing new bearings to fit the new axel diameter?

Would seem so huh? Hard to put a 20 mm axle through a 17 mm bearing! Wonder if this hard tail was designed for a completely different rear wheel assembly off a larger bike to use a big fat rear tire? Seems like the hard tail should have come with information saying what rear wheel, axle and spacers were needed.

When you purchased it the model it was for should have been stated. My guess if you got it from VooDooVintage.com it is for a xs650.

Back